Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

# 97 I'm all out of focus...

In previous posts, I've mentioned my recently acquired lack of focus characteristic. I'm sure I've always been a bit flighty and easily distracted in some ways, but it seems like lately, this characteristic is getting worse. I don't know if its an effect of all the changes and stress that's been in my life lately, or if its me getting older (25 is really so old) and more forgetful. But, its bad, folks.

Sunday afternoon my Aunt Ju and Lori left and Parker and I breathed a big sigh of relief. Just kidding! We actually didn't have time to breathe a sigh of relief since they'd left me with a ton of stuff still to do on my list. So, I started working. And I folded clothes, changed sheets, organized drawers, cleaned off my desk, put up jewelry, washed clothes, unloaded dished, vacuumed, and watered plants. I actually got a whole heck of a lot done and my house looks great. So, you all should come visit in the next couple days before it gets messy again!

So, the problem isn't really with the results of my cleaning spree Sunday night-- the house looks fabulous! The problem is with my journey to get to the clean house. This is an example of my train of thought-- an actual example-- I've retraced my steps-- this is NOT an exaggeration.

I need to hang this picture in the bathroom. Where is the hammer? Its by the door. Oh, let me check my phone. Send a text message. Now where was I?
Oh yes, hammer. Its on this book. I need to move this book and straighten this pile of books. That book doesn't look good there-- the spine is too dark and looks silly beside the other, brightly-colored spines. Where is that book about Katherine Hepburn? It would look good in here. Its on the telephone table. I need to move these pictures from the telephone table into the basket in the guest room. I forgot to put the sheets on the guest bed! I need those pillowcases from my room. My dresser is so messy-- let me just move this perfume bottle out of the way. Where is the top to this bottle? I think its in this drawer. Good gosh, there are 15 million ponytail holders in this drawer. I should put them all in a little bag together so I will know where they are. Here are some batteries. They go in the kitchen. Oh, I'm really hungry for dinner. I need to unload the dishwasher. And there was that random fork in the bathroom for some reason. Let me go get that fork. Why is this picture sitting on the floor. Oh yeah, where is the hammer?

This was no joke. I literally went from place to place, room to room, task to task. I did this about 17 different times, usually coming full circle to my original job. The most frustrating was trying to warm my leftover pizza, and then, 20 minutes later, getting back to the kitchen and having to warm it up again. That happened twice.

I'm hoping my mind goes back to normal soon. My nerves cannot take this much longer!!!

1 comment:

kjgatlin said...

Relax, and quit trying to get everything done at once. You've just moved~~you've changed jobs~~you've started a whole new life with EVERYTHING that goes with it. Everything WILL fall into place, but not today. Maybe day after tomorrow. So just let it happen. There's nothing wrong with you but an overload of LIFE! This too, will pass, and you will be fine. (Reflect on what you have accomplished and the distance you've covered.)
Just love reading your blogs everyday. You're so transparent and funny!
Hope today is better!