Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

# 103 Its a lunch date!

I love lunchtime! Its my favorite part of the work day cause you don't have to work! When I was working in Laurel on my own, I'd go to lunch a lot of the time with my Aunt Ju or avid reader Emilee, and I really enjoyed it. We'd usually have conversations such as this via the phone or text messages:

ME: Ok, where are we going to lunch?

Ju: I don't care. Ask Em.

ME: No, you just give me some ideas and then she can choose one.

Ju: No, I really don't care. It doesn't matter to me.

ME: Fine. (Hangs up)


ME: Em, I just talked to your mom and we are going to eat lunch. Where do you want to go?

Em: I don't care. Ask mom.

ME: No, she said to ask you.

Em: Well, I don't really care. What do you want?

ME: I don't know-- how about sushi?

Em: Yeah, sounds good.

ME: Ok. Let me call Ju. (Hangs up)


ME: Ok, I talked to Em. She wants sushi.

Ju: Oooohh, no. Not sushi. I don't want sushi.

ME: Are you kidding? Fine. What do you want?

Ju: I don't care. Anything but sushi.

ME: Fine. What about Mexican?

Ju: Ok. Tell Em. (hangs up)


ME: Ok, Em, your loser mom doesn't want sushi, so she said Mexican. That good?

Em: No. I have on a nice outfit and I don't want my clothes to smell like Mexican tonight.

ME: Fine. Ok, give me three choices.

Em: Smokehouse, Sweet Peppers or Lafleurs.

ME: Ok. Let me call you back. (hangs up)


ME: Ok, Em suggests BBQ, Peppers or LaFleurs.

Ju: Um, what about LaFleurs?

ME: Ok!

Ju: No, Peppers.

ME: Ok (exasperated). Fine. Peppers. I thought you "didn't care".

Ju: I don't.

ME: Fine. What time?

Ju: I don't care. Call Em.

ME: Ugh. (hangs up)


Yes, folks, this is a very typical conversation that happened three or four times a week, not just at lunch, and sometimes it got even more fun when mom decided to go with us.

Anyway, now that I have a "real job", I won't be having as much fun going to lunch. Which is fine since I don't have anyone to go with! Since I started working, I've gotten to eat with Ann Marie, my friend who is training me. We've eaten at the Crown and PeaSoups in Indianola, and the Dutch Oven in Clarksdale (twice!). We've been eating good! Tomorrow we are going to NOLA in Indianola! I've heard good things so I'm excited. And its nice to have someone to enjoy lunch with!

Last week, I mentioned having lunch with some co-workers at the office (isn't that such a fun sentence!). What I didn't mention was my shame at the wimpy Wal-Mart bag I had to bring my lunch in. Most people had sharp looking Tupperware containers, and Ann Marie had a super cute Vera Bradley lunchbag. Luckily, everyone was nice enough to not laugh AT my face when they saw what I was bringing my lunch in. I did hear a couple snickers when I walked by the microwave, though.

I've tried to overcome these feelings of falling short in the lunchbox area of my life. I've ignored the little voice in my head that says "No one will ever want to sit by you if you keep bringing your lunch in a plastic bag" or "The only people who bring their lunch in Wal-Mart bags are losers who live in a van by the river". But I couldn't ignore it for long. I finally caved.

Over the weekend, I went and bought a lunch bag. Its so very cute!! Here is a picture. Still don't have my camera so its not a great picture, but its super super cute in person!


Today I brought my lunch in my new lunch bag and I felt much better about myself. It brought a smile to my face every time I looked at it! I don't always love Vera Bradley patterns-- and I don't like to have the same pattern or purse that everyone else has. But, this is super cute to bring to work, and I LOVE this pattern! It reminds me of the Pennsylvania Dutch signs that I saw when I would go visit my Aunt Jane (and avid reader!) in Lancaster, PA. That's why I bought it!

I always had such a good time visiting her and exploring that area- its SO beautiful. My Aunt Jane is a really good tour guide and she will pack all sorts of stuff in the time I would visit! We saw several of these type of signs on old barns, and I think they are really, really lovely. I like the colors and the idea behind the signs (to ward off evil spirits- if only I'd had a few more of those in my life!). I just really like them. Here are some really pretty and bright ones I found on-line:





2 comments:

Betsy said...

WHen I am home I have the same conversations with ju em and mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are so silly!!!

kjgatlin said...

I love the lunch bag, and it really does look PA Dutch! Come on up and we'll tour some more. I've found LOTS of new places (and people) to show you since you were here.
Keep blogging!