Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

# 87 Cooking up a storm...

Today has been an excellent day! I didn't work, of course, but I did get confirmation that I'll be working tomorrow, so that's a relief. I cleaned up a lot, organized my closet and extra room, took a walk around the walking trail downtown, and went to the grocery store.

My friend Katherine, over at "Its a Great Life if You Don't Weaken" posted an interesting recipe earlier this week and I was inspired and decided to try it myself tonight. Its Chicken with Peanut Curry Sauce. Katherine is a fantastic cook and likes to just make recipes up and tweak them to her liking, so borrowing her recipes is usually a really good and yummy idea!

Plus since I don't really have anything in my fridge or cupboard, its good for me to go buy everything I need so that I can get stocked up again! I had a little trouble finding "coconut milk" but told myself that plain milk would be ok. I think it was just fine! The recipe turned out really good! I feel really grown-up and adult with my own house and going to the grocery store and making a really yummy dinner. In order to combat that adult feeling, I'm now watching America's Next Top Model.

Here are some pictures of Katherine's recipe! I always want to eat a really good meal on Wednesday nights because its Top Chef night and I usually get super hungry watching all their cooking!!

Cooking the onions and the curry-- which smelled really wonderful! On cooking shows, you know, they always talk about how great the stuff they are cooking smells and how it permeates through the house and blah blah blah. But this really did smell good! It made me feel like I was a really good cook, when in reality I'd only put the onions in a pan with some curry at that point.


The finished product-- look at how nice it looks with the green bowl and plate. Now, if this were Top Chef, Tom Colichio would be fussing at how its all one color and I should have done a better job of presentation. Well, Tom can suck it. I think it was a fabulous meal!


And thanks to Katherine for the recipe-- she has graciously allowed me to post it here for you guys as well!!

3 chicken breasts cut into cubes
1 medium onion cut in half and then into thin slices
1 medium red bell pepper cut into thin slices
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
3 or 4 medium carrots grated
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 Teaspoons powdered ginger (a little fresh ginger would be even better)
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons peanut butter
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup coconut milk
salt and siracha or red pepper to taste
a couple of squeezes of lime juice if you have it
chopped fresh herbs...I used basil (because that's all I had) but green onions and cilantro would be awesome

Heat a little olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and curry powder and cook for 2-3 minutes until onions start to soften and curry becomes really fragrant. Add chicken and cook for about a minute to brown slightly. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook for about 3-4 more minutes until peppers begin to soften. Add chicken broth and stir to deglaze pan then add tomato paste and stir to blend. Add coconut milk, peanut butter, ginger and carrots and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. If sauce becomes too thick, add a little chicken broth to thin it out. Add salt, pepper, lime and herbs to taste. Voila!


Katherine wants me to point out that the measurements are more approximate and should be regarded as such-- both she and I tend to cook without measurements, and just "eyeball" it, so you might be a bit more careful than us. Also, I only used one chicken breast and thus had a lot of sauce for just a bit of meat, but it turned out fine. It think next time, some rice or Thai noodles, would be good too! As stated above, I used milk instead of coconut milk and I also deleted the peppers from the recipe since I think bell peppers are gross.

No comments: