Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

# 101 I'll take Trivia for 800, Alex.

Tonight I headed on down the road to Leland, Ms, to a restaurant named Vince's for some good, old-fashioned trivia with a bunch of people I'd never met. It was lots of fun!

Earlier this week, I'd accompanied my co-worker/friend Ann Marie to the Clarksdale hospital across the street from our office for lunch. Her husband Brady, is head of food services there, and his co-worker, Rebecca, ate with us as well. Rebecca is fairly new to the area, by way of Texas, and she'd gotten involved in a group who plays trivia every Wednesday night at Hey Joe's, which, as anyone who's ever visited me here yet knows is one of my favorite places. So, she invited me to go tonight and then reminded me of it today (which was very nice-- I probably wouldn't have had the nerve to go on my own or even call her about it today to see if it was still on). We did decide to go tonight, but they decided to go to Leland to Vince's instead of Hey Joe's for some unknown reason.

So Rebecca and I braved the rain and headed there. It was a group of 9 people- Marshall, John Mark, Laura Beth, Matt, Corly, Matthew and Andrew. And me and Rebecca. Vince's is really nice and I'd like to go back there sometime (perhaps when someone else is paying!). We ate dinner first, and then trivia finally started. It was an older group and a bit more formal, apparently, than Hey Joe's usually is. But we had a good time. Its always a bit nerve-wracking to be at a table full of people you don't know, and even though I think I'm fun and cool and nice and wonderful, I was a bit nervous! However, everyone was super nice and one couple (Matthew and Corly) live right down the road from me.

Our group, the Rocket Scientists, came in third. In fact, after the first round, we were in 3rd every single time. Consistency is important to us. The questions were a bit chuckle. There was a music round, where we listened to 15 seconds of a a song and had to tell the name, artist and album. The Easter round had questions such as "According to a recent study, what part of a chocolate egg is most likely to be eaten first?" The ears. There were some harder Easter questions like "Easter consists of two different celebrations- the religious aspect celebrates Jesus's resurrection. What does the pagan aspect celebration?" beginning of Spring.

There was also a "Today in history"-- today was Adolf Hitler's birthday, Columbine, Bp Oil Spill, some baseball opening day in 1919 or something, and Apollo 13 landing. Its also the Mayor of Newton's birthday, but that wasn't an answer to any of the questions, for some reason.

It was a lot of fun! It reminded me of the few times my friends and I played trivia at Two Stix in Oxford. One of my trivia claim to fames (or claims to fame?) was answering this questions correctly:

What is the largest party venue in California?

I immediately start thinking of all the places I'd read about in US Weekly (see Dad? All those hours spent reading magazines really did pay off!). Finally, it hits me- the Playboy Mansion-- its the largest! It was the right answer and no one else got it but me! I'm so smart!

Tonight I helped out on a few questions, so hopefully they won't think I'm a total idiot and I will be allowed to come back and help out in the future. It was really nice to get to meet all different types of people, and I even ran into a girl from my new bunko group. I love Cleveland, but I really do miss all my friends, so I'm glad to get to meet some people and be reminded that it won't be long before I have friends to hang out with up here (though no one can EVER replace the friends I already have! I'm super lucky!).

Blog Update-- we are now at 4986-- come on readers, we can do this! 5000 before noon tomorrow!!! Reach for the stars-- if you fail, you'll still be around the moon. Or whatever.

2 comments:

K. D. said...

Jessica, I'm so proud for you!! Nothing you've done has been easy and I think you are really nailing it and are very, very brave. :)
Katie

DebCarr said...

Glad you got to go last night; I know they will be glad to have you playing because you are a very smart and funny girl!!!