Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

# 93 A fabulous Tuesday evening...

So Tuesday, I went to Hernando for work and had to fill all out sorts of paperwork for my new job. You know, as a DHS worker, they like to have at least 4 realms of papers for each new hire.

Tuesday afternoon, I got home and had a surprise on my front porch! My dear friend, and avid reader, Penny, had sent me a belated birthday gift (all other blog readers who haven't sent me a gift should be ashamed) from one of my favorite places in New Orleans-- Sucre! I've made it clear, in previous blog posts, how much I adore New Orleans, and Sucre is a dessert/bakery type place with yummy individual desserts and macaroons and chocolates that come in these cool little boxes. The store itself is decorated in shades of sherbert and pink and light blue and yellows and its so fun and pretty and it just makes me happy! It doesn't even bother me that most of their desserts and stuff are in random flavors, so I don't really like a lot of it!

But my birthday gift is awesome-- an assortment of macaroons in one of their cute boxes! I brought it to work with me today and Anne Marie and I sampled some of the different flavors. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to bring with me the little insert that shows the different colors and flavors. Fortunately, Anne Marie and I are smart enough to figure it out on our own (with a little help from Sucre's website-- but we were right in our original guesses!). She sampled the pecan and hazlenut while I had the chocolate and orange. I've still got almond, strawberry, pistachio and lemon left!



It was such a good surprise and totally made my day! Thanks Penny!

After I finished squealing with delight over such a good gift, I got ready for a cultural outing. Yes, I have culture. Sure, I like Star Trek and sometimes sleep without sheets on my bed for a while because I'm too lazy to put clean ones on the bed. But, I'm as full of culture as the next girl from Newton County. I'd heard on the radio earlier this week that the Bologna Performing Arts Center on the Delta State campus was presenting "The Barber of Seville" Tuesday night-- from the Memphis and Mississippi Opera Houses and starring several quite famous Broadway actors. So I purchased a ticket and got all dressed up and headed over there. The Bologna Center is really nice, and according to what I was told, was actually the first "Performing Arts Center" in Mississippi, which led to Ole Miss (Ford Center) and State (have no idea center) rushing to build their own!


It was a nice night of opera and while it was a tiny bit sad, it was also really liberating to know that I didn't know a single soul there. Not one. No fake smiles. Also no real smiles, but no need to talk to people or anything like that. It was nice! I don't generally love opera as much as I do other forms of art, say theater, dance, ceramics-- but I enjoyed this one.

I did sneak out a tiny bit early because my friend, avid reader, and great-blogger-in-her-own-right Katherine was coming to stay for the night. It was really nice to get to catch up with her that night and we stayed up way later than this old fogey usually does-- but it did my heart wonders to talk with her, get her advice and laugh with her! She's fabulous!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad you liked your sucre happy! I miss you and Katherine. Would have loved to hang out with you two!