Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

# 95 Its a rom-com mystery

Its a Delta mystery. I've been here for just a few short weeks and I've already gotten myself into the middle of a mystery. Here's the backstory.

I live at 304 South Victoria Avenue (Send me a card!). I have a very nice little mailbox out by the street. Here's a picture:


Yes, tomorrow is trash day. Don't be judgy.

Also, outside on the porch, right beside the front door, is a small black basket with the word "Mail" on the side. Its nailed to the side of the door and its sort of a cute little detail, but its unused since the mailman comes to the actual mailbox these days. Here is a picture:


Yes, the word "Mail" DOES look like "Maiz". But presumably, it really is "mail" since that makes more sense (too bad I couldn't work "cents" into that sentence!).

Now, I've been getting mail here for several weeks and recently, my forwarded mail from Laurel has finally been showing up. I've gotten magazines and church bulletins and bills (though I was hoping they'd get totally lost).

Friday afternoon, I get home from work and I head inside to see what all fabulous cleaning/decorating Aunt Ju and Lori have done while I've been slaving away at the office all day. More on that to come later. We immediately head out the door to Wal-Mart to get everything on their long-list. Apparently, without such supplies as a Swifter, curtain rods, ferns for the porch, a rug pad, baskets for the bathroom and a utensil holder, I've been only living half a really sad life. I'm just so lucky they were able to reach down to my level, and try to lift me up as best they could buy getting me all that and more.

Anyway, after Wal-Mart, we decide to eat dinner (forgetting that bag of ice we'd just bought three minutes before), and we get home about 8 p.m. I head to the porch to unlock the door, and my mail is sitting in the little mail basket on the porch. Not in the mailbox, where it usually is. Strange!

All sorts of theories fly- the mailman is strange, or he forgot the mail and ran it back by (a la the Christmas bonus check for Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation), it was mistakenly put in a neighbors box, someone from the church visited and brought it up as a nice act of service (earlier this week, I met a couple ladies from FBC, Cleveland, who'd stopped by to meet me). We never found a suitable explanation.

So Saturday comes and we head down to the Cleveland Crosstie Festival down by the courthouse, a few blocks from my house. (Sidenote-- it was super awesome and super fun-- I'm so sad I still cannot find my camera and therefore didn't take any pictures!). We stayed for a while, but then ran back to the house before any further shopping/fun/etc. so Lori could grab a jacket since it was a bit cold in the shade. Lo and behold, my mail is in the mail basket AGAIN! This time, it wasn't as much mail, but still. Its there. There is no explanation. My car was still at the house (but the night before, both cars were gone, so no one would think anyone was home), but we weren't home and there weren't any signs of someone stopping by, say from the church or anything (like a note or literature about the Sunday morning services, etc.).

Its a mystery! So, dear readers, any theories?

I've decided that its not a mystery. In my mind, in a cute little house, a few houses down, a super cute, but very shy guy lives, and he's noticed me and Parker walking around the neighborhood. Now, he's noticed Parker first (cause she's so cute! And anyone who loves me, loves Parker!) and then noticed me, and has fallen for me as he's watched me and Parker interact these last few weeks. He's listened as I talk to Parker while we walk, and he's seen my family members come and visit (and he still likes me!). He's seen me trip over the uneven pavement in front of the house down the road six times (thus far). He's watched, with a tear in his eye, as my neighbor yelled at me. He watched me today as I lifted a really large fallen limb over my head and brought it from the backyard to the front, knocking into both vehicles and two trees along the way and nearly falling over. He's seen me and Parker sit outside and read, and thought it was utterly charming that I was reading Anne of Green Gables for the zillionth time.

He's a student at Delta State in the aviation program, probably-- he's a non-traditional student, so he's a bit older than me. I like to think he's from a wealthy family up north, but his grandparents were from the Delta, and that's why he came back here-- he always wanted to be Southern, so now he's decided to stay in Mississippi. He's planning to be a pilot, and has lots of money that he wants to shower upon me, and take me all over the world traveling. Of course, he won't force me to quit my job or anything (that would be controlling), but he'd want me to be happy, so he will support my decision to quit working and volunteer at the library part-time. He is also willing to buy a fabulous house and let me decorate it anyway I want, with unlimited funds. He will not be angry when I make the fourth bedroom into a large closet because he loves me. He's so shy, however, that he cannot even approach me (or Parker) and has, instead, tried to work up the courage to talk to me by going through my mailbox (which isn't at all creepy).

Yep, I'm pretty sure I am right. I will entertain other theories, however, just for my own amusement. You know, until he and I finally meet.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

If a car is parked in front of the mail box then that might be why he put it in that box. Who knows.

DebCarr said...

Good thought Betsy!!!
Or it could be a new mail carrier, and he/she doesn't know to put it in the box at the curb. Perhaps you should make some cookies and put them in the basket.....