Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

# 90 Fitting in and all that jazz...

So I've been in the Delta for a few weeks now (it doesn't seem like that long since I was here, but then went home for a long while and then came back, but its really been 3 total weeks since I moved), and, with the exception of the aforementioned neighbor, I've met some really nice, wonderful people. And I've had a great time exploring some of the small towns and learning about them, and I have plans to do a whole lot more exploring sometime soon. I do believe I'm really going to like it here-- I've enjoyed my job, thus far, and I've had time to do some cooking, some exercising, and some reading. I'm caught up on my NCIS reruns, and Parker seems to be liking it as well. I've even been to a bunko group and made plans to catch up with some old friends (friends from my past, not that they are necessarily old!!)

But I'm harboring a terrible secret. Its awful. Its embarrassing. It makes me feel like a fraud. I get up every morning, and take Parker outside, and I can feel the stares coming at me from all directions (except of course, from the direction of Mr. Professor-- its not a stare I feel in my direction, its a glare). I go to the grocery store, and I feel like there, between the squash and the carrots, I'm going to be found out. I take walks to Fireman's Park or on the walking track downtown and I'm scared to make eye contact with my fellow walkers. Its something that haunts me. The only place I feel safe is alone, in my house, with the door shut. But, its my home that would ultimately betray me, if anyone ever ventured past the front door.

Here's my secret.

I don't collect pottery.

I don't even own any of the pottery.

Not McCarty's.

Not Peter's.

Not anyone's.


Its a fact that I'm pretty sure will get my kicked out of the Delta in a heartbeat, if I was ever found out. I don't know what's wrong with me. I guess I had a tough childhood or something. My parent's forgot to hug me as a child. Whatever the reason. I don't own any pottery. Its something I'm pretty sure I will be forced to rectify soon, if I plan to stay in this area long.

I went to a friend house the other day and I saw many beautiful pieces of pottery displayed in her home. I've seen pieces in different shops I've perused. Heck, we even had some in stores in Laurel. So its not like I don't know better. In Junior Auxiliary, we almost always used it as serving pieces for different get-togethers and socials. There are plenty of good people in Jones County who have pottery pieces. Just not me. I'm sure if they knew, I would have never gotten into LJA in the first place.

So, avid readers, I'm asking for your forgiveness. And your help. I want to be a good person. I really do. I don't want to be found out as a fraud. I think the pieces are quite lovely, and, as someone who fancies themselves a "ceramicist", I know the pottery is beautifully made (which is much harder to do that it looks. Just ask me!). Now, right now, I don't have much money, what with having just started this new job and all, so I don't think I'll be able to buy any pottery anytime soon. But I've checked out some websites and found a few pieces I really like, and I'm graciously posting them on here, as suggestions for any avid readers who might want to buy me a housewarming/new job/welcome to the Delta/belated birthday/love your blog gift.

These first two are McCarty pottery. I know there are different factions who argue between which artist is better, and I'm not going to get into that here-- I don't know the whole story, and I don't know which is better. I do know, however, that it was extremely hard to find any pictures of McCarty's pottery on-line. These first two are the only ones I could find.


I love this color!


These are Peter's pottery.



This says its a casserole dish, so I'm guessing its pretty big-- I love the top of it. It might be my favorite of all the pieces I saw.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to say....I don't really have any either...and I have never seen any I just had to have....well until I saw the pottery train from dog door pottery....I didn't invest in it when I had the chance...and I don't think they have it anymore...so I am just with out...and I am fine with it...and you should be too...don't buy it just to have it...wait til you find that piece that you just can't live without...and buy it! Don't wait(because it may not be there when you are ready to buy it)...and have to live and be dead inside...like me!