Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

# 83 Birthday Celebrations, AutoZone and Quincy...

Well, I'm finally back! Did you miss me? I've been gone so long, I've nearly forgotten what its like to blog!

Here are some things going on in my life:

-- Still no update on when I will be starting the job. I keep hearing April 1, but thats mostly because I keep saying "Maybe it will be April 1st" to myself (quietly when I'm in public, obviously). So I think I might have started that rumor myself.

-- I've been in Laurel the past few days and have really enjoyed being home! I also worked in Decatur yesterday and it was super hard to say goodbye to everyone up there. I also broke down in tears Monday night at Mi Casita, thinking about how much fun I was having with my Aunt, my Mom and my Em, and how I couldn't just have random dinner time fun with them as often as I do now. It was embarrassing and probably everyone in Mi Casita thought I was crazy!

-- I'm thinking about getting a mani/pedi tomorrow. I'll take pictures cause I know you will all want to see. Despite my mom's pure hatred for any unique colors like black, navy, gray, etc., I love those colors-- I think they are fun and modern and since I've had a boring, conservative job the last few years and I've strived (stiven?) to make myself look older, more mature and more intelligent, I've stayed away from anything except the occasional clear polish (I know, I'm a wild one!). But now that I'm in between jobs, and when I do finally start the job, I will be mostly training and its a very casual job, I think I'll try a new color. Saw this one in a magazine today and LOVE it!!

Its called Chinchilly from Essie! Love it!!

So last week was my birthday-- did anyone know that? Probably not, I'm a bit shy about it! And my super cool friend Sonji offered to cook a birthday dinner for me Saturday night and I, of course, jumped at the chance-- Sonji's a great cook and I adore her family!

The night was a total blast-- I thought it was just going to be me, Sonji, Clay and the kids, but it turned out my friend Becky and her boyfriend Chad were there as well as one of my favorite people ever-- Dr. Adam! Adam is our doctor friend who lives in North Alabama and he and Clay and Sonji are great friends and are so fun to hang around!! Those three are really funny! Sonji cooked a good meal, as always, for me, and it was topped off with some homemade strawberry cake and homemade icing-- YUM! I got some super cute gifts (I'll take pictures later!) and, to end the night on a high, I got my car fixed! Its a one-stop shop there, at the Rose House!!

My headlight had been out for a week or so, and I tried to get the guy at Advanced Auto in Newton to change it, but he apparently didn't do it correctly. So I'm telling this story, of how the guy, Whitney was his name, tried to change the light at night, but dropped the screws and it it took forever to find them in the dark, etc. And Adam says he can fix it. So, they head outside and come back in a few minutes with the little lightbulb. They tell me and Sonji to head to Newton and buy a replacement bulb.

Now Adam is a doctor, and he is obviously quite smart. And Clay is super clever and smart about vehicles, and outdoor stuff and buildings, etc. But, those two guys were obviously not thinking. They sent ME and SONJI to buy something. At AUTO ZONE. There was no way this wasn't ending badly.

But me and Sonji are up for the challenge. We head into town and get a chance to catch up on some stuff, which was nice. And we arrive at AutoZone and it looks really dark, but there are a couple cars and one man outside, smoking. So, I roll down the window and ask if they are still open. He tells me yes, obviously thinking I'm an idiot. So we head in and proudly announce to the clerk that we need another one of "these" bulbs, which is a headlight for a 2006 Altima. He looks on the computer to see if it is in stock and says they don't have it, but can order it. Its $99.00. WHAT? I paid $7.00 the week before at Advanced Auto Parts. Now, granted, the light didn't work. But still. So we decide there must be a problem and he suggests we go back to Advanced Auto Parts, and so we do. But it has already closed. So, we call Clay and he tells us to go back to AutoZone and ask for Quincy-- a guy he does a lot of business with there.

Tentatively, we do so, knowing, we look like total idiots now, not just the somewhat idiots we looked like before. And we try to explain to Quincy what the situation is. And he tells us that we are wrong, that the light we had was a FOG light, and not a HEAD light, which explains the price difference. We call Adam and try to explain to him. He thinks we are chuckling. He tries to explain it to us. We decide that perhaps it was a mistake, sending us to do this job. Perhaps? Most definitely.

We finally decide to get the cheap bulb, ignoring Quincy's dubious looks, and with the promise that if it doesn't fit, Adam will pay me back for the $7.99 bulb. We head home, triumphant.

It fits. I can now see both sides of the road. The light bulb might only last a week, but so far so good. I'm happy. Sonji's happy. Adam and Clay are happy. They've learned a valuable lesson. Never sent me or Sonji to buy anything at AutoZone. Or anywhere other than the Belk shoe department!

Here are some pictures of the night!

Adam is a bit camera shy and wanted to "minimize his internet presence" and thus didn't really want to be on the blog. But I'm nothing if not persistent!


Sonji and Bentley-- one of the sweetest, most beautiful kids! I love her! I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of Gatlin that night, but I'll get one another time!


Sonji and her extensive collection of flyswatters-- in such pretty colors. Not sure why she's chosen to collect these, instead of say, pottery or picture frames, etc! Ha ha! Just kidding!


The headlight whisperers-- Clay, Adam and Bentley! I think it was right before this picture that Adam said it wasn't that impressive of him to change a headlight-- after all he'd "built a car from scratch!" But I was impressed! And thankful!!


1 comment:

ASunnyRose said...

I have read that like 3 times already & still decide to read it again bc its funny & reminds me how much fun we had that night& how retarded they were to send us & how Clay probably can't go back to Auto Zone & how Quincy just looked at me like I was stupid when I suggested he be glad we came in bc we surely has to have made his night fun!-