Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

# 68 Girls in Action...

So tonight is my last night teaching GA's on Wednesday night at FBC, Laurel. I love my GA girls. Love them. Over the years, I've taught many different groups at various churches-- at FBC, Newton, I've taught Bible School, some years as a helper and some years as the only teacher; FBC, Oxford, Rebekah and I taught Mission Friends, which was super fun and mostly consisted of going into the craft closet and trying to figure out what type craft we could make with glue, feathers, sequins and pipe cleaners (Rebekah has a knack for figuring things like that out!), at Springfield Baptist Church in Morton and Bay Springs Baptist Church in Bay Springs, I spent an entire summer teaching youth on Sunday and Wednesday nights.

A few years ago, after I'd been in Laurel for a couple months, I decided I needed to get back involved in church, and so, one Wednesday night, I went to prayer meeting. And it was... boring. Sorry Bro. Randy. I was the youngest there by 15 years and I quickly realized that if I was going to continue to come to church on Wednesday night, I'd need to find something else to do. So, the next week, I was talking with a friend at supper on Wednesday night, and mentioned that I'd love to help with the nursery, Mission Friends, etc., if I was needed. It just so happened that I was sitting right beside the new children's minister, Joan, and she quickly assigned me to help with the 4-6 grade GA's. I'd been involved in GA's at FBC many years ago, so it was nice to come full circle.

And I love love love my GA girls. Now the girls who started out in 4th grade when I started teaching are now in the youth group, but I love all of them-- its probably one of the saddest things about leaving Laurel. Not to sound awful or anything, but I'm not a huge support of Missions-- I mean, I love missions and think they are so important to a church and to Christians everywhere, but there are plenty of people who have a much more passionate heart for missions than I do. But I have a passionate heart for my girls-- I want them to be happy, healthy, whole young girls who grow up to be happy, healthy, whole women. I'm so proud of them and I think they are so sweet and so smart and so fun and interesting and cool. I just want wonderful things for them! I hope that with Facebook and the internet and such, I will be able to stay in touch with them! I'd love to go into detail about how unique and fun and cool each one of the girls is, but I'm afraid it will just make me cry at this point. I've taken some pictures the last couple weeks of church and I'm posting them here for you all to see my sweet girls!!! This isn't all of the girls, but its most of them! Tonight will be my last night and we are having ice cream sundaes to celebrate!





No comments: