Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

# 61 Happy St. Paddy's Day...

Even though I am unable to go to the St. Paddy's Day Parade in NOLA next weekend, it remains one of my most favorite memories! Courtney and I drove down to NOLA two years ago to visit Penny, and we decided to go eat at Juan's Flying Burrito on Magazine Street (so yummy!). We notice tons of people outside and decide that perhaps it is a leftover mardi gras parade-- but when we leave the restaurant, we realize its not mardi gras, its St. Paddy's Day-- NOLA's more family friendly, and more interesting version of Mardi Gras. Fabulous floats and marching bands and costumes and all sorts of neat stuff. But, the participants not only throw out beads and other trinkets, but they throw out the ingredients for traditional Irish stew-- cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, etc. They also throw out crackers, nabs, cookies, snacks and other food. Its fantastic. We met lots of locals who literally brought bags to carry all the food in-- they said they leave town during Mardi Gras, but love this parade because they don't have to go to the grocery store! It was lots of fun, albeit a bit painful-- you have to be on your toes to make sure a head of cabbage or the pointy end of a carrot doesn't hit you.

In honor of St. Patrick, don't you love my new blog background?!!!

2 comments:

kjgatlin said...

Looks like you're going Green, and that's HUGE right now~~
The background looks great, and I laughed my way through your blogs about NOLA and dog shows. My condolences to Parker. She's still the Winner in my book!

Unknown said...

Still one if my all time favorite days in nola!!