Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

# 77 Pokemon anyone?

I'll be honest. I've not kept up a whole lot with the situation (heh, the Situation) in Japan. I know, it makes me a terrible person. I'm not sure what I was doing when the earthquake happened, but I haven't been on the computer a whole lot recently, and I never watch the news, so I've not read much about it. Regardless, I KNOW its an awful, awful tragedy and I've found that awful tragedies bring out the best in people (another post for another day). And I just saw this article here, that reminds us what is really important-- giving to people who have less than us. And, right now, most of Japan has less than us. And while I'm all for giving (even now when I'm a bit of a financial charity case myself, I try to give lots of time and energy since I have no money to give!), and I encourage you to donate to the Red Cross (you can click here to give!), what actually caught my eye about the article wasn't the giving, it was who was giving. Ichiro Suzuki, specifically.

Now, I've decided, after looking at these pictures, that Ichiro is a pretty good looking guy, and he seems, after reading some of these articles about him, to be very successful, humble and hard-working. All good things. But the point of this blog isn't to go on and on about this man, its to tell you a story.

Picture it, Meridian, Summer of 2002. Bonita Lakes Mall. Kiosk near food court. Sideline Sports. Owner, David Carr. Worker, Jessica Carr.

I spent many an hour at this kiosk selling college memorabillia and t-shirts and hats and baseball cards and Pokemon figures, etc. I did this for my dad, who is better to me than I ever deserve. He raised me to know a fair amount about sports. I believe I am in the top percentile when it comes to knowledge of sports by girls. Partially because I do love sports and I care and I pay attention, and partially because Nicholas and my dad discuss all sorts of useless aspects of sports and I sometimes get stuck listening.

Regardless, I like to hold myself out as a sports lover and, while I might not be a fanatic, I get the gist of most sports conversations and can hold my own. So, this story is particularly embarrassing for me. And probably for Ichiro as well.

This Ichiro guy has hit the big time-- he's playing the MLB and his name is everywhere.


Similarly, there is another Asian phenomenon that has hit America-- Pokemon.


A young kid walks over to the kiosk. I'm basically ignoring him, watching the clock, waiting for 8 p.m. when I can pull down the little chain wall and head on home. Its been a long day. I've only gotten to go to the bathroom once when I could convince the lady at the arcade next door to watch the merchandise. I've had bratty kids bothering me all day-- looking at stuff and then walking away because they didn't really have any money to begin with. Another kid walks up, and asks, "Hey- do y'all have any Ichiro cards?" I ignore him. He asks again. Finally, I point him in the direction of the front card case. He looks for a second and comes back over to me. Asks for "Ichiro cards" again.

I sign and say, "Pokemon cards are right there." He looks at me funny and walks away.

It wasn't until later than night when I told my dad the story did I realize that Ichiro does not equal Pokemon. I'm sure that's racist or something. But I don't see any articles about how any Pokemon characters have donated money to Japan.

No comments: