Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

# 65 Messy house, organized mind...

A messy house is a must-- it separates your true friends from other friends-- true friends are there to visit you, not the house!

I like this quote a lot. I personally love my house to be clean, to be organized and to be pretty. I love having people over when my house is all of the above. Unfortunately, its rarely like that unless I know you are coming over to visit. In the past, I had a major problem with letting people into my house unless it was clean-- at least for their first visit. After that, it was fair game. But, for the first time they came to my house, I wanted things to be perfect and clean and pretty. That is a high standard to uphold and really doesn't matter anyway. As part of my continued striving to be a better person, and to let go of much of the stress I put on myself, I'm letting go of this issue as well.

Announcement: My house is no longer going to be perfect!!! So don't expect it to be! Probably no one ever cared but me. But I remember many, many times, when people would call and want to drop something off at my house or come by, and I would freak out, run around and try to get things as clean as possible. It was ridiculous!

Of course, if you were to have stopped by in the last week or so, or if you were to stop by now, you'd see my house in even worse condition than it is normally. Its pretty bad. Normally, when someone moves, they probably try to throw out some stuff, get some stuff to take away to charity, etc. And then they throw everything else into boxes and are done with the entire thing. I'm not so lucky. For the past month or so, I've slowly tried to pack up some stuff as best I could. And then the last two weeks, I've upped my effort and attempted to get some stuff organized for my rummage sale this past weekend. Which was a huge success despite the rain! I've also thrown away a ton of stuff and take a ton of stuff to the Salvation Army.

But, packing for my move in this instance has proven harder than expected. See, its not as easy as throwing things into boxes. First, I was trying to decide what to sell, and then decide what to throw away. Plus, I'm trying to pack up all my stuff, knowing that my new house is MUCH smaller than my old house), while simultaneously figuring out what belongs to me and what belongs to my mom. This was especially frustrating in the kitchen-- we have tons of kitchen stuff, which is ironic since we never cook. But, it was a pain to figure out what was mine and what was hers. As such, even though the rummage sale is over and all leftovers have been taken away, my house is still a huge mess.

Think your house is bad? Here are some pictures to make you feel better--











And finally, is anyone surprised that Parker hasn't lifted a paw to help me? Not once.

2 comments:

kjgatlin said...

Jess, do I have some news for you?! First, you could tell people that your house got vandalized and that you're trying to sort through things so you can report to the police what's missing!
Next--get a copy of this book and then leave it lying in a VERY CONSPICUOUS place: A Perfectly Kept House Is a Sign of a Misspent Life: How to Live Creatively with Collections, Clutter, Work, Kids, Pets, Art, Etc. ..and Stop Worrying about Everything Being Perfectly in Its Place--by May Randolph Carter

A must-have book, and I've ordered a copy from the library to read!!

Jessica said...

Aunt Jane-- that's a great idea! I totally need that book-- let me know how it is!