Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

# 60 Mind Dump

Some random thoughts that have been going on in my head lately...

-- Charlie Sheen is an idiot. I don't really understand why the rest of the world thinks he is funny. At all. Never has. It is unbelievable that Two and a Half Men can be the most watched tv show right now. That's sad. What's wrong with people? I think he was awful pre-meltdown and I think he's awful now, post-meltdown. And while the CBS studio executives have recently "fired" him and tried to put a stop to his behavior and are no longer condoning it, its pretty obvious that everyone looked the other way while all this happened only because Sheen brought in a ton of money for the company. That's really sad. Hollywood, in particular, needs to start valuing the life of people over their money-making potential. And before you fuss at me for being so hard on Sheen's managers, publicists, studio bosses, directors, etc., let me also say that Sheen is an idiot-- its obvious he has lots of issues. But where were his family members and friends? People who care about him? Why haven't they already stepped in? This isn't a recent thing-- its been happening, on and off, for years. And only now, when his behavior is so outrageous that the media and the public are finally noticing, is anyone willing to do anything to try to get him to stop. Its sad smut, as Lainey says.

-- I will really miss the IGA here in Decatur. They have a fabulous plate lunch-- its so good and so cheap. Today, I went to buy me and Carol some lunch-- she got chicken pot pie, yams, okra, cornbread and chocolate cake. I got hamburger steak, rice, butterbeans and okra and chocolate cake. We both ate about half of what we got and only a few bites of the cake. It costs us about $7.00 total. So good. I love random good eating places like that-- places you'd only know if you lived there!

-- Its election time again! Its time, in Newton County, for everyone to start running for Circuit Clerk and Tax Assessor. I'm pretty sure Sheriff Jackie Knight is unopposed, but as of yesterday, there were 6 candidates for Circuit and two for Tax Assessor. I kinda hate I won't be around when it comes time for the voting-- there is nothing like local politics. Four years ago, there were several tight races (well, a couple tight races and a couple we anticipated to be tight races, but ultimately turned out to be blowouts) and I was working for Judge Gordon at the time. On election night, we came back up to the courthouse and I was able to go in and see the deputy clerks who were counting the votes and listen to them making announcements about each poll box. People brought chairs and sat outside and listened and it was really fun-- exactly what you'd expect a small-town voting day to be like.

-- This weekend is the Newton Loose Caboose. There's going to be all sorts of stuff going on Friday and Saturday-- food, vendors, car show, kids activities, 5k, etc. However, there will NOT be a dog show. Yes, you read that right. Its actually quite upsetting. As you may know, my sweet Parker loves doing dog shows. Its her thing. We are a dog show family and I'll do anything I can to support her. A lot of people have a bad opinion of dog show families and think we all live in trailers while buying our dogs lavish dog collars and canine flippers and such. But, let's face it-- we live in a world where beauty reigns, and a beautiful, self-confident dog is going to go a lot further in life than one who is not. I want to teach Parker than she can have poise and confidence and kindness and beauty. She really enjoys getting up on stage and when she does, her personality really shines through. I myself was a pageant girl back in the day, and I'm proud that she enjoys it as much as I did. I get tears in my eyes when she gets up on that stage and struts her stuff. We are really hoping that dog shows will lead to bigger stuff, like modeling and acting and stuff. Its a really good stepping stone. I don't really care if she wins or loses as long as she does her best up on that stage. She will continue to do dog shows as long as she wants to-- the day she tells me that she doesn't want to participate anymore, it will break my heart, but we won't do any more.

However, there will NOT be a Loose Caboose dog show this year. Yes, that was a collective gasp that you just heard from all the readers of this blog. There will be no dog show. Parker and I will not be attending the dog show, partly because we are having a rummage sale, but partly out of sheer spite. She is really upset. As many of you know, last year, Parker received "Best Dressed" Overall. She has a little award plaque and everything. Every night when we go to bed, I show it to her and give her a kiss and tell her how proud I am of her. Although, technically, that particular award says more about my taste in clothes (in this case, a blue, yellow and white sun dress) than about her. But anyway.

She also participated in the Newton Halloween Dog Costume contest back last year and won Overall as well. She's obviously well-loved by the judges in this area. And her first dog show, the Laurel Main Street Festival Dog Show two years ago-- she won Overall Best Costume. That's another story for another day-- when she met her nemesis, Donut.

I just hope Parker will not be too sad this weekend when we don't head to Newton for the dog show. Obviously, the people in that area heard we were coming again and got scared, so they didn't want to participate. Its sad when people are jealous.

No comments: