Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

# 58 blah blah, yada yada

Sometimes its nice to be around family because they love you unconditionally. Or usually, they love you conditionally, but they have to love you and cannot get away from you, so they forgive you when you mess up and don't meet their conditions and life goes on. Its complicated. But, they let you mess up and help you pick up the pieces and they just make you laugh and make you cry and get on your nerves, but you love them all the same and you'll never be anything without them in your life. Also, its nice to have family because sometimes they call you out on your crap. They point out your issues (sometimes nicely, sometimes not so nice) and they do it in a loving, kind way. Usually.

Recently, I was called out by a family member, and this blog is to rectify my slight. It wasn't intentional, but it was a slight, nonetheless. As you know, my FAQ's last week garnered lots of attention, both local and, probably, state-wide. And one comment in particular, hit home. Mostly because I was actually at home when my mom called me and told me to read it and I did. But it hit home nonetheless.

Here is the comment:

This is pure gold. Very funny. However, I am a bit perplexed as to why you haven't discussed me yet. Leaving home yada yada leaving family blah blah. Yet, you are now near an hour from me. We can meet in Batesville to go to Grizzlies games and you can visit often and so can I. And dad has somewhere to stay until May. No mention of all of this. Nicholas

Nicholas, you are absolutely right! I have focused so much on what I'm leaving that I failed to see what I'm gaining! I'm so super excited to get to see my brother more often and to be so close to him in Oxford! It really is probably one of the best things about the move! Nicholas and I are very close-- I'm lucky to have him as a brother. I'm lucky to have both of my siblings, but my Betsy is a post for another day. A long post. But Nick and I get along really well, and I can remember joking about how Nick was my best friend, if a twenty-something year old could be best friends with a elementary/junior/high schooler! It was true-- we are a lot alike in a lot of ways.

Nick and I have a lot of fun together-- obviously, like everyone in my family, we have the same sense of humor and it makes me happy when I hear or see something funny and he does as well and we can laugh about it! When we went to the mountains this year for Christmas, Nick was lucky (or unlucky) enough to get to ride with me and Parker and we had a great time listening to random songs and laughing at the stupid lyrics. Nicholas loves Ole Miss sports and I love getting to see him really in his element of going to ball games (he's not picky about the sport either-- he'll hit up a girls soccer match if he can!) and I'm really excited about being able to bring Parker over and head to a game with him! I'm lucky he's willing to hang out with his nerdy older sister. When he was growing up, we did all sorts of things together and I waited on the day that he'd decide that he was too cool to hang out with me, but that day never really came-- of course, I don't get to see him all that much, but thats just cause we are all so busy, not because he thinks I'm a loser. At least, I don't think so!

We like to tease mom that Nicholas is "the baby" of the family and he's spoiled rotten. And he is. But, for someone spoiled rotten, he's surprisingly smart and self-aware and kind and generous. Usually! My favorite story of how Nicholas is the favorite happened a couple years ago-- I was super sick during 2008 summer and everyone had threatened to take me to the doctor or the ER to get me well, but, as someone with no insurance, I'd resisted. I felt it was mostly stress-related sickness and I was right. Anyway, Nick and I went to Hattiesburg to see a movie (Chronicles of Narnia-- we love going to see movies!) and we ate beforehand. Of course, I didn't eat all that much (hibachi-- Nick's fav-- he can put away ridiculous amounts of rice. Its really amazing.) but I still go sick. Nick had threatened that if I got sick while we were eating, he wasn't going to threaten to take me to the doctor, he was going to actually do it immediately. However, once I got sick, he changed the "immediately" to "after the movie" which was fine because I figured he'd forget. Well, by the time the movie was over, I was extremely weak and felt even worse, so we headed back to Laurel to the ER. On the way home, I tried to call mom on my cell and she didn't answer. I tried calling several times. No answer. The entire 30 minute drive home. No answer. So, finally, after the 6th call, Nicholas gives me his phone and says to call her on his phone, that maybe she'll answer. I was incensed that he would think she'd answer his call and not mine, but I called anyway. She picked up on the second ring.

Yeah mom, don't try to deny this. She "said" she couldn't get to the phone when I'd called. Every single time. Right.

Here are a few of the pictures I have of Nicholas on my computer, so they are a random assortment.

Nicholas and I at his high school graduation! Sweetest boy!


Nicholas and his roommate Dillon in the Grove-- love Dillon. He's a funny guy and he puts up with Nicholas as a roommate, which I can only imagine isn't always fun. Plus, these two boys have possibly the cleanest dorm room I've ever seen. For two guys.


Nick and Betsy in the Grove


Sweetest boy and sweetest girl. I'm not sure who is more spoiled.

3 comments:

Somethin' about a Southern Girl said...

Nick looks like David Carr's mini-me in that pic of yall at graduation!

Somethin' about a Southern Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

Yes, Felicity-- he really does. Its kinda scary. I mean, one is bad enough, you know?!