Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

# 82 Continuing to settle in....

Even though I am back in South Mississippi for a couple days, I've got internet so I will use this opportunity to post some more pictures of mine and Parker's first few days in Cleveland!

Monday was a fun day! We woke up late and we went outside to let Parker go to the bathroom. Since I still didn't have any water, I did not have the same luxury! However, the good thing about not having water? All the usual hygienic morning routines weren't necessary. So instead of brushing my teeth, washing my face, showering, washing hair, etc., I just walked out the door. I didn't even change out of my yoga pants/t-shirt pajamas. At least I wasn't wearing my zebra print ones!!

Now, I'd been told Cleveland is serious about their water and I'd learned that first hand last week when I couldn't get my water turned on over the phone/fax as I'd previously been told since the supervisor was "out on Spring Break". But the water lady was super nice, and graciously allowed me to use their bathroom, while she was working on my paperwork. But I found another serious aspect to the Cleveland Water-- they don't like late bills. Bill is due on the 10th of each month. If its not paid then, they assess a $25.00 fee. If the entire amount isn't paid by the 20th, even if the 20th falls on a weekend, they assess a $30.00 fee and immediately turn the water off. Yep, they are serious. As my landlady says, you can "get electricity turned on in Bangladesh easier than getting water in Cleveland". But, we finally worked it out and BONUS-- they gave me a big old roll of trash bags-- since they handle the trash as well. And every April and October they pass out another roll! Sweet!


I ran a couple other errands and hurried home to be there when the water guy arrived because the lady told me I needed to be there. So, imagine my concern when I turned on to Victoria Avenue and realized, several blocks away (its a long road!) that the water guy was parked in front of my house. I was super worried that he was about to drive away before I could get there. As soon as I got close, I started honking my horn to get his attention and I flew into the driveway, jumped out and started waving my arms at the water man, who was sitting in the driver's seat of his vehicle on the street. He looked at my like the madwoman I am, and rolled down his window. Out of breath, I explain to him that I was there, and please don't leave without turning on the water and I'm sorry I wasn't there when he got there. And he calmly says "It's ok ma'am, your water is turned on. You didn't have to be here." Yeah, so I looked like an idiot! But yay! I had water!


However, my elation over hot water was short-lived when I realized that gas had not yet been turned on so my water wasn't HOT! Still no shower for Jess. It was getting ugly.

In the meantime, and in an effort to get my mind of my dirtiness, Parker and I explored the backyard. Its super cute with a little bench and an area where a fountain used to be. Parker loved it.



We met this little guy on the empty baker's rack beside the back door. Suggestions for names?


Then we went back inside and kept on unpacking boxes. We also unloaded all the stuff I'd bought at Wal-Mart the previous night (the ridiculously long line didn't even bother me as I met a very nice lady in the checkout who told me all about Cleveland and wished me luck when she was leaving!). I bought this super cool party people iHome for my iPod-- it changes colors and everything! This is the blue color but it also has purple, pink, orange and green. Its going to be awesome for all my rocking house parties. With all my new friends I'm gonna make!!!


Since all good stories must come to an end, you will be glad to know the gas finally got turned on and I finally got a hot shower! Which was wonderful! And then, to make the day even better, my sweet Betsy came arrived in town right before dinner. Now, that's an entire other post...

2 comments:

K. D. said...

Best of luck on the new place Jessica! Call anytime the water goons shut you down, I have plenty or water and multiple bathrooms you are welcome to use :) p.s. Hernando is serious about their water that way also. Must be a Desoto county thing.
Katie

kjgatlin said...

Couldn't help but laugh as you talked about the honking and jumping out of the car waving your arms at the water guy--wonder where you learned that?? Remember the time we went to the field one Saturday night--got there just before dark, came flying in and stirring up dust and jumping out of the car so we could look for treasures those last FEW minutes before dark--almost scared the poor Amish people to death. You remember that--you, your mother, Aunt Ju and me--know you couldn't possibly forget that!!!