Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

# 79 Moving Day, Part Two...

Well, folks, I'm here. Parker and I are officially Delta residents. Or, I'm a Delta Dawn (Jessica Dawn) and Parker's a Delta Dog! Yesterday went pretty smoothly and mom and I, with the assistance of Robert and Larry, were able to load most everything up and last night I did my obligatory drive around Laurel listening to some good music and reminiscing/crying/praying/laughing/etc. about my life in Laurel. I even drove out to where my maternal grandparents are buried, but unfortunately, despite the ridiculously bright moon, I was too scared to actually walk into the cemetery. Its the thought that counts.

This morning, Dad headed down to Laurel and we hit the road. About an hour later than I'd hoped, but we made it! My landlady had forgotten to drop off the key, so we spent a few minutes on the porch waiting for her, and as soon as she arrived and met the family, we hit up a Cleveland hotspot-- BackYard Burgers. Thats right, folks, the Carr family don't play when we come to town. Also, there was a bathroom there so we were all about to wash our hands, etc., since the water isn't turned on at my house yet!

Then comes the unloading. Let me say this-- my family is AWESOME! My sweet brother, and avid reader/commenter, Nicholas, was willing, with little to no arm twisting, to skip an Ole Miss baseball game to come over and unload all my stuff from the Uhaul. Isn't he the best? He really deserves another blog post, but he just got one, so it will have to wait.

The weather is really nice today, so it wasn't too bad unloading everything. Parker had to stay in the kitchen, which did not make her happy, as evidenced by the "happy" she left us in the laundry room. That's my girl, already marking her territory!!

There was one, um, uncomfortable moment about two-thirds of the way through with the unloading. The Mayor lost his shirt. Literally. He took his shirt off because he was so hot and sweaty. Now, I don't know about you guys, but that's not really the first impression I wanted to make upon moving to a new town. At least one person nearly ran off the road. Presumably from the blinding white skin. I hope that most of the good citizens of Cleveland weren't driving down South Victoria Street around 3 p.m. today. I'll never get rid of the hangers-on wanting to be my friends.

Now we are unloaded, and the family has left. Parker and I sat outside for a while enjoying the pretty day (and shedding minimal tears!). Then we got back inside and got to work. Cleaning, unpacking, etc. And more importantly, finding my chapsticks. Now that the most necessary stuff is out of the way, we got out the computer in hopes of putting on some music (television won't be installed until Wednesday!), and, lucky us, we found some free internet! Thanks linksys lha!

And you should thank linksys lha because now you can enjoy some of the pictures we've taken already!

My room!


The kitchen-- if you look to the back left side, you will see the pillow where we made Parker stay while we were unloading.


Dining room-- this is where most of the stuff went that we didn't know where else to put. Also, as my dad pointed out, there were a heck of a lot of boxes of books-- and, if we were moving Betsy, it would have been much easier, no books. More clothes, however!


Living room-- sorta already looking homey, right?


Front porch-- you can see Parker watching me! I love the glass screen door-- its open and lets in a lot of light and Parker likes to look outside and see what is going on-- she is super nosy! She's already barked at lots of neighbors.


A fabulous surprise-- I've Got Mail! I already had mail when I arrived today! Thanks to my super cool and thoughtful Aunt Jane, an avid reader and commenter of this blog! It was a birthday card and a housewarming card! I love getting mail and my Aunt Jane has a super gift of being welcoming and encouraging and thoughtful like that! She sends beautiful cards and has the most beautiful handwriting as well! Thanks Aunt Jane! Love it!


One of the top things on the To Do list-- get a wreath for this door! Its a really pretty red-orange color and it needs a Spring wreath!


Second on the To Do list-- find a new mirror for the bathroom-- this one is hideous! Its like this odd primary colored splatter-painted silver frame.


Parker, as usual, doesn't even bother to pretend to help. At least she could go, like, into the kitchen and pretend to be unloading boxes in there, where no one can see.


Traveling injury-- small piece of wood on this pink chair (its my mom's!) broke off, but I think it can be fixed!


And finally, the World's Best Going Away Gift-- from my mom:


Its Wyatt Waters and its signed! But, even better, its Waffle House! I'm sad to say that Cleveland doesn't have a Waffle House. Which might be ok-- I mean, no Waffle House will ever mean as much to me as the Laurel Waffle House. I love going there with my mom, my Aunt Ju and my cousin Em. We've spent many a random meal there, laughing and being silly. We've even started planning a sitcom based on Waffle House. I don't trust you readers enough to share the fantastic title we came up with, or any of the many plot lines we've personally witnessed. But, it will be a great mockumentary, a la The Office, and maybe one day I will tell you about it! For now, I'm headed to WalMart! Got stuff to buy! Also, need to go to the bathroom.

2 comments:

Nicholas said...

There is a Huddle House. We in Oxford share your pain though, and we long for the day Waffle House comes to the big O. I think Huddle House is down near Wal Mart or Kroger, not sure.

kjgatlin said...

So glad you're moved--in a couple of days it will look and feel like home there on Victoria Street.
I loved the pictures, and yes, the living room already looks inviting. Bob could fix the pink chair if he were there.
I'm delighted the cards were waiting on you when you got there. That's what I had hoped for, and now they are forever immortalized in this blog.
Just love reading the blogs every morning--it starts me off with laughter!