Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

# 134 McCarty's Pottery Experience...

Last weekend, my friend Melinda came up from Laurel for a Delta visit and we had a total blast! Melinda is laid back and fun and so she's a great person to go exploring with-- she's up for anything! Melinda and I met a couple years ago when we were in the same pottery class at the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art. She drew the short straw and had to sit at the same table with me and Aunt Ju, who are never, ever obnoxious, loud or silly. Unfortunately for Melinda, she is conscientious about her art and very talented and so she probably thought we were super annoying and crazy! Luckily for me, she looked past our tendency to never take anything seriously and got to know us and now we are great friends. She's super talented in many different art medium, and I have one really fabulous picture she took for me of the Marcus Furniture sign, downtown Laurel, and its beautiful.

I was really excited for her to come visit and for me to get to show her around the area. Likewise, Parker was excited because in addition to being an art-lover, Melinda is an animal lover, and she is really good with Parker. So good that I was afraid Parker was going to try to sleep with Melinda instead of me, and she nearly did, but she relented at the last second and came to my room (any rumors of me threatening to making her sleep outside when Melinda was gone are slightly exaggerated).

Melinda got to town last Friday and we ate dinner at the Warehouse and I showed her around town. I think Cleveland's such a fun little town so I'm always excited to show it off to people. Saturday, we got up and headed to Merigold for a visit to McCarty's Pottery. I'd been once before with Aunt Ju and Lori, but this time we went outside and explored the really beautiful garden areas. Here are some pictures:

McCarty's Pottery-- really beautiful area in Merigold, but there are no signs or anything so you wouldn't know its a really great store unless you were looking for it!


My new obsession-- I've posted before about not having any (or much) pottery. And while I appreciate the beauty in the different pieces and different makers (you know, being a ceramicist myself and all), I don't know that I want lots and lots of pieces of pottery-- its not really me. But there are some pieces I want, and this is at the TOP of my list. This hanging planter is gorgeous. I want it. I need it. I have to have it. I actually have to have two since it would just be ridiculous to only buy one and put it on the porch. Its one of the more expensive pieces so I'll have to save up my money or hope a kind and rich reader would gift this to me.



Let me be honest. These little guys creep me out.


After perusing the pottery (and navigating the gaggle of over-dressed Daddy's Girls), we headed outside. As I've mentioned, Melinda is a great photographer and has a fantastic eye for cool pictures and a really nice camera too. I mostly followed her around, saying words like "soft light" and "focus" and other photography-related words. I didn't use these in sentences, just said them randomly. I think she was super impressed with my knowledge. Luckily for me, it was so pretty that even I could take some nice pictures!




This was a neat little potting shed area with some different pieces of pottery and such. Made me wish I had 1) a green thumb, 2) a place to use my green thumb and 3) some nice pieces of pottery since even dead plants look better in nice planters.


Melinda dubbed these "drunken bunnies". Love them!







Readers, it was a great day. We had lots of fun and since this is a long post, I'll post more pictures of our experience another time. But, alas, all great days have to have a little drama to be great. And this day had plenty of drama.

Picture it: Merigold, 2011. Walking around a beautiful garden, being inspired, wishing we had more money to spent, taking pictures, laughing, enjoying our time hanging out. We pass by a beautiful archway and I head into the other area of the gardens. (WARNING: Mom, please quit reading now.) Melinda's still snapping shots behind me and I look down, mere inches from my feet and I see it:


A snake. In the middle of lunch. Apparently, today's special was a small bird. Its jaw literally unhinged and tried to eat this bird which was much bigger than it was wide. I mean, I remember learning that snakes do this type of thing, but it was disgusting. Unappetizing. Creepy. Being the mature person I always am, I screamed and ran back towards Melinda. A worker happened to be walking by and she went and got someone to dispose of it. He pretty much just took it into a different area to let it finish its meal.


Melinda and I bravely continued on our merry way through the garden, but, honestly, we didn't stay much longer. However, as the nice worker girl pointed out, "if you were a snake, wouldn't you want to live in this beautiful garden?" So true!

No comments: