Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

# 121 Happy Mother's Day!!

Happy Mother's Day!!! I hope all my readers have a great day and get to spend lots of wonderful time with their sweet mothers. I have the greatest mother in the world-- I couldn't have asked for a better mom for me! She's the best! I gave her the best Mother's Day gift ever-- I volunteered to go furniture shopping with Dad and Nicholas yesterday, so that she wouldn't have to. It wasn't pretty, folks. More on that later! I have planned a fabulous Mother's Day tribute to Deb, but unfortunately, it will have to wait-- I'm still having problems scanning my photos-- I can scan them, but they are sideways and won't save if you try to switch them. I could go ahead with my Mother's Day planned post, but then you'd all have to turn your computers to the side to see the pictures. And I don't want you all fussing at me when you get a crick in your neck because of my blog!

I tried to fix this glitch yesterday but didn't get very far. And today, I'm a busy busy girl, so this will have to wait. I'm headed to FBC, Cleveland for Sunday School and church (for the first time!) and then almost immediately, I'm headed to Tunica to help out at the Flood Shelter they've opened up there. I'm scheduled from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m., and its an hour and a half drive, so it will be a long day!

Now before you all think I'm a total saint, giving up my Sunday afternoon, let me be honest-- this is required by my work. Everyone in my office has to do it. Lucky for them, they mostly live a lot closer, but its still a good hour for most of them!

Speaking of mother's, my mother passed down a love and enjoyment of volunteering to me. I really love doing stuff like this. If only I were independently wealthy and could spend all my time doing stuff like this instead of working! I've volunteered for VBS and children's classes at church my whole life. I once was a "Pink Lady Teen Volunteer" in high school. In college, my favorite part of the week was teaching preschool mission friends. I worked with the Salvation Army after Katrina. I've logged hundreds of hours with the Lauren Rogers Museum and Laurel Junior Auxiliary over the past couple years. I don't tell you these things to brag. I tell you these things so you will realize I'm not a terrible person even though I'm not entirely happy about having to head up to Tunica this afternoon. My point is-- I don't mind volunteering-- at all-- I love it. And under normal circumstances, I'd be glad to work in this shelter anytime. But I do hate that I'm having to go so far away-- I'd be much happier if there was a shelter closer by!

Let me leave you with a Happy Mother's Day wish to all my readers who have mothers. Or are mother's! I love you each and hope you have a great day! I'm a mother to a sweet little shih tzu who was smart enough to send me the sweetest card via my mother...

2 comments:

DebCarr said...

O, that's the cutest picture of Sweet Parker!!! I told Betsy about the card, and she loved it!!! That was so sweet of Parker to pick out that card for her mom!!!
Love you. I am so PROUD of you for the volunteering that you do.

kjgatlin said...

I love the card, and I love the picture of Parker--such an arrogant pose!!