Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

# 131 Car 54-Where are You?

Readers, you are in for a treat. Today, you get to learn first hand, pictures included, how crime affects us in our everyday lives. Yep, yours truly was a victim of a horrendous crime today. Luckily for you, I've kept my sense of humor and my camera about me today.

It all started last night when, as faithful readers will already know, the Mayor and I got home after eating dinner and we sat outside and listened to the Ole Miss game on the radio. Anyone who knows me probably knows that my purse has been stolen before. Out of my unlocked vehicle at my house when I came home for lunch one day. Stupid, yes. But in my defense, I grew up in Newton, which, practically used to be Mayberry. So I learned the hard way that Newton's got some crime. So, I've previously had a habit of leaving my car in my locked vehicle at night. And I've tried really hard, especially since I've moved up here, to break this habit and I've done a pretty good job, if I say so myself. And I have to say so myself because no one else knows if this is true or not. But it is true. I'd never lie to you, dear, sweet readers.

Anyway, when we got home, we sat outside, listened to the radio, walked Parker and in the midst of all the fun, I left my purse in the vehicle, on the passenger side floorboard. Dave and I watched the Mentalist and then hit the sack early since being so wild and crazy makes a person tired.

Bright and early this morning, around 6 a.m., I wake up and Parker and I head outside for her morning constitutional. As we turn to walk back towards the house, I notice my passenger side window is down. I think we've accidentally left it down from last night when we rolled the windows down, listening to the game. But, as I look closer, I realize-- its not rolled down, its knocked out. I immediately get sick.

Here's what I saw (Warning: Some images may not be appropriate for young children.)

The brick that went through my passenger side window, hit the inside of the windshield and landed in the driver's side door:








They were kind enough to leave my Bible. Perhaps they thought it would burn their hands...


Anyway, they only thing they took was my purse. My favorite purse that I get TONS of compliments on, that cost way too much and I had to save my money up forever to afford, Cynthia Rowley snakeskin purse. I bet those thugs don't even appreciate its beauty. Inside my purse was my wallet-- complete with my ID, debit cards, credit card, $25.00 Olive Garden gift card (I'm actually really upset about this!), pictures of my friends kiddos (Gatlin, Bentley, Conner and Patrick-- if you're reading...), stamps, brand-spanking-new health insurance card (!), library cards, etc. There was also some checks and two of my favorite lip glosses! But most of all that can be replaced.

The one thing that cannot be replaced? My Kate Spade planner. I'm actually quite sick about this. I LOVE my planner. I bought it years ago and its been my trusty sidekick even before I had Parker. It has all my addresses and numbers and upcoming events of my whole life. If my life could be boiled down to pieces of leather and paper with colored drawings on them (what can I say, I like to color all over my calendar events!), then it would be in that planner. Over the years I've written down book titles, quotes, lists of shops and restaurants I want to check out, etc. I'm so very sad about losing this. On the bright side, now I can look for a new planner!

Despite this crappy day, I'm super lucky in a lot of ways.

First, it worked out nicely that my dad was in town. When I ran into the house crying at 6:15 a.m. and woke him up, he was surprisingly calm and remained that way all day. He let me borrow his car to head to Clarksdale for work later this morning, and he took my car to get it cleaned out and set up an appointment for the windshield and window to be replaced next week. He even changed my oil! God was totally taking care of me when Dad came to stay with me last night!

Second, it could have been a lot worse. My camera, my Nook, my phone-- none of those things were in my purse or my car. I'd cleaned out my purse the day before, so some random things-- like a CD my new friend Corley made me, my favorite ponytail holder and some other lip glosses, some makeup, and several chapsticks-- all of these things I'd taken out of my purse. My quote book-- a recent purchase with all my favorite quotes and recent funny quotes made by my crazy family and friends-- it wasn't in my vehicle either! So, it could have been a lot worse.

Third, I get a new windshield! A couple years ago, a rock hit my window and make a huge crack all the way across the bottom. I've never been able to justify getting a new window-- and now I have a reason!

Finally, I've felt very loved today! Lots of people have called to check on me or sent me emails or facebook messages checking on me, and that's been wonderful! I'm loving my new home, but its sometimes quite lonely here and its nice to be reminded, even through something not so fun, that I'm loved by many great people, even if I don't get to see them often! So thank you to all my sweet friends and my sweet readers! I can't be too bad of a person if all your great people love me!

1 comment:

kjgatlin said...

Jess, I'm so very sorry this has happened to you--AGAIN. This would traumatize me for a LONG time, and people would have to hear the story over and over again. What is it about you and crime? And I'm sure you've not forgotten the incident when you went abroad!! May you be settled in all this and have peace. Learn from it and move on--what else can you do?! And pray that the crooks will die a horrendous death!