Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

# 158

Before we went back to the past Saturday night, we took a stroll downtown Corinth (see: previous posts) and we decided to have lunch at Borrums, a super cute old-timey drug store that's one of the oldest stores.




Katie went wild and ordered a Cherry Coke. I had my usual DC but they actually make the sodas here-- they put in the flavoring and then add carbonation and mix the two together, so even my boring old DC was a bit exciting! You tricked me, Borrums! You know how I like being unexciting.


The three sweet, pretty girls.


They made me say that. Just kidding! Aren't my friends pretty? And I promise you, they are sweet too. Mostly. I think it was right around this picture that they started getting annoyed at my incessant picture-taking. Again, this blog doesn't write itself! If it did, I'd be out of a job, er, hobby, er, reason to post obnoxious pictures.

You can see in the picture below that this store has been opened since 1865-- so more than 150 years! You can also see some of the Borrum family portraits. Not a very portraitogenic bunch, huh?


Finally, here's the big surprise-- a SLUGBURGER!!! Corinth is known for their slugburgers and places all over town sell these things-- there is even the Slugburger Festival coming up week after next, if you are in the Northeast Mississippi corridor. No one was brave enough to order it as their only meal, so we decided to order something each but also to get a slugburger and share it, just to taste it. Slugburgers were invented back in the day when there wasn't much money-- its basically a small amount of pork and some breading and flour and other things, fried. I had the first few bites because I didn't want mayo or mustard or anything else on there. After I finished, they added the "fixins" and took their bites. To me, it sorta tasted like a friend bread sandwhich. Not the worst thing I've ever tasted. I might even order it again.


Here's Courtney contemplating. Or praying. Or contemplating praying. Not sure. I am pretty sure it was necessary for her to try the slugburger-- isn't there a rule that says you cannot live in Corinth without trying one? They give you a 6 month grace period, I think, but her time was rapidly coming to and end, if she didn't try one.


Fun day with a fun group. After this, we went back home, hopped in the car (which looked really funny) and drove around town seeing the sights. Till I got carsick and got to go home while they got to go get a snowcone. Darn you, carsickness.

No comments: