Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

# 144 Money, money, money... MONEY...

I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I'm not good with money. To anyone who knows me, loves me, has seen me checking out in Wal-Mart, standing nervously in line at the bank, or works for any utility company that currently serves me, this is not news. I'm bad with money. Does anyone want to take over my money-managing and just give me an allowance? Probably not! Till then, I'll keep trying.

Now my dad might be laughing at this statement, but I've been doing a bit of a better job in the last few weeks. Mostly because I've had no money to spend, whether responsibly or irresponsibly!

Anyway, I'm trying really hard to get myself on a budget, pay off some bills and make better money choices. Dave Ramsey would be seriously proud of me. Right now, I'm waiting it out till payday and I've got a little bit of money-- but I've got another problem. After my recent purse-stealing episode, the first thing I did was cancel my debit cards and order new ones. Well the card finally came in and I couldn't get the stupid thing to work. There wasn't a number to call to "activate"; instead it said activate at any "retail store". Yeah, that's not exactly accurate. I tried three different places Wednesday and an ATM to get it to activate, but it wouldn't. This particular bank isn't located around here, so I couldn't just go to their atm. Regardless, I was a bit stressed. For once, I actually had (a little) money in my account but I couldn't access it! And I was in desperate need of some gas to get to work tomorrow!

Today in Sunday School, we studied parts of Matthew and the part that me and another girl focused upon was the "Do Not Worry" section of Matthew 6. Totally fitting for me right now. I mean, I'm pretty good at worrying. One of the things God showed me today was that I worry way too much (although to be fair, I already knew this-- everyone already knew this!). And I worry a lot about money since I make pretty bad money decisions-- i.e., I get so excited about having money and managing it well that I decide to celebrate by, say, buying a new purse or something equally as unnecessary. Its a work-in-progress. But one thing I think God was trying to get through to my sometimes-stubborn-self was that its one thing to trust God and know that He will provide everything, even money. But even more importantly, you have to make good decisions so that you don't have to worry. Like, its not a good idea for me to go buy a ton of new clothes and then worry I cannot make my rent and expect God to provide money out of the blue for my bills. Instead, I need to make thoughtful and prayerful decisions regarding my money and then, my worrying about money won't be necessary-- because I'm prepared. This is especially poignant for me right now (poignant- big word, huh!?).

Anyway, despite this life lesson from earlier this morning, I WAS worried about money today. I was in need of gas and had no cash, and a non-working debit card that I've tried to do everything I could to get activated.

I tried one more time-- I headed to the gas station, praying that this card would work-- otherwise I'd have to wait till the bank opened in the morning and be a bit late to work! And lo and behold, God showed my worrying was for naught-- the card worked! I celebrated in true Jessica style. But heading to Walgreens for this:


A diet coke and some fabulous nail polish. I've been needing some nail polish for a long time-- my toes look awful! So all weekend I've been wanting to head out and get a cute new color since all my colors are old and had to be thrown away. In keeping with my new financially stable self, I chose the cheapest kind and it was on sale! Yay me! And a DC. Caffeine free- cause that's how I roll...

No comments: