Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Delta, Delta, Delta, Can I Help Ya, Help Ya, Help Ya?

I've been unable to download the pictures from our Christmas Wonderland Family Vacation, so as soon as I can, I'll do that and also update you guys on all the fun we had. You'll be glad to know that all family members returned unharmed, although another inch or so of snow and another hour or two might have left us stranded and I doubt I'd be able to say that then.

In an effort to do some winter cleaning and find some tax receipts, I've been cleaning out my desk drawers at my office in Decatur. I came across some old emails that I've printed off from previous email addresses, most of all which were when I was living in Washington. I've had my yahoo email account for a really long time, but I did once have a hotmail account as well as my old ole miss account, and at some point, I printed out some of my favorite emails before I quit using those accounts.

Some of them where really funny, random forwards from college-- 25 Ways to Write a Paper, 30 Fun Things to do in Wal-Mart, etc. Those kind of emails make me laugh as I remember how many things on those lists I've actually done in college. Another post for another day.

I also found some from my family and friends after September 11, 2001, when I was living in Washington-- it brought back some tears and some panic when I was reading those emails. It was such a terrifying, unknowing time-- we can look back now and know exactly what happened, but in the minutes, hours, days and weeks after the attacks, there was so much uncertainty-- reports of bombs and other attacks all over the country, but especially in NYC and Washington. Sirens went off for months, and troops with guns and tanks filled the streets for quite some time. For a Mississippi girl who'd literally just moved to the Big City, it was quite terrifying and I still wake up in cold sweat if I hear a siren in the middle of the night and I still hate talking about September 11, and ignore most of the anniversary coverage each year. Too many bad feelings.

I also found a lot of really funny emails from some co-workers at the United States Chamber of Commerce-- I had several really fun people that I worked with, all of whom I've lost touch with. I keep thinking that Facebook will help me find them, but, at least with the girls, they've moved and probably married and I've had no luck. One girl I really need to return her copy of Katherine Graham's biography!

I really enjoyed working at the US Chamber-- DC is a cool, interesting town filled with cool, interesting people, most of whom have made their career, and not getting married, a priority, so you can see how I related there. But, it was the first, and only time I've worked in a large office filled with all sorts of different people from different places and been exposed to lots of different cultures and ideas. Its also the only time I've been surrounded by people who were like me-- and who were stuck in a cubicle all the time and were desperate for a little fun in the office. We had a great time, and lots of the things we did, I've already forgotten. We had a great time with each other!

I've entirely forgotten these emails until just now, but apparently, we had a weeks long discussion about different celebrities we would let into our sorority. It was intense, passionate, carefully argued, and, well, pointless. We got into deep arguments wherein we championed our favorite celebrities and destroyed girls we hated. I imagine its a lot like what being in a real sorority is like. My closest friends, Meredith and Elisabeth, went to a school in Virginia and were Delta Gamma's there. I'm sure you all know that Ole Miss is where the sorority DG actually started-- there is a small sign between campus and the Square and everything! Anyway, the fact that I attended Ole Miss was very interesting to them, despite the fact that I was not a Delta Gamma, nor the fact that I was only an AOPi for about 17 minutes. It didn't matter-- they thought it was so cool, and I was so cool, by extension. In that aspect, they were right!

Here are some of the opinions we had about specific celebrities at the time (remember, this is circa 2002-- some of these celebrities haven't been popular since then!)

We cut Katie Couric (her ties to Tri-Delt as well as her being "FULL of retarded questions" forced us to not give her a bid but we all dis agree she was better than Kathie Lee), but we agreed on Julia Roberts (my choice-- shes "kinda quirky but she's funny and would probably be a good candidate for 'going to SPE'. [ I have no idea what SPE means!!!]).

Oprah had us divided-- I hate her, but others pointed out that "her money could buy us a rocking good formal" but also that "those big satin dresses she likes to wear probably wouldn't fit through the bus door." Harsh.

Alanis Morisette got a huge NO, as she is too "weird and granola" for us. Christina Aguilera was another big no ("a grade A first class total ho-bag), but we did like another Christina-- Applegate.

Cameron Diaz was another no, but we did really like Charlize Theron, who is "dumb but probably cool at parties" and "is from Africa, so she could be our token diverse sister."

Elizabeth Hurley was denied, as she was also a "HO" and has never been in a decent movie. Also, there was some discussion about the fact that she didn't know who her baby daddy was at the time [sidenote- I don't recall this? I don't really recall much about Elizabeth Hurley except every single dress she wears and has worn is the same]. The most interesting part of the LLiz Hurley discussion is that the girls got off onto a side discussion about a girl from their college named Erin Leddy and the identity of her "dentheaded" baby daddy. I don't know if the baby or the baby daddy is dentheaded, and now I'll never know.

So, dear readers, who would be in your sorority? I'm offering bids to Julia Roberts, Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Guliana Rancic, Carey Mulligan and Zoe Saldana. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Definitely Guliana because she could hook us up with all the latest news and gossip! Julia is getting old...but I still love her! Def Rachel McAdams!!!! Zoe Zaldana...love her too! I would also add Reese Witherspoon and Chelsea Handler would be the party girl for sure! Leanne Rhimes and Angelina would definitely NOT be accepted...because they are skanky homewreckers!!