Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

# 9 Breakfast is the most important meal of the day...

"I'm a simple man, I like pretty dark-haired women and breakfast foods."
Ron Swanson, Parks and Recreation

I love Parks and Recreation-- its one of the funniest tv shows right now and I'm super excited because it comes back on with new episodes in the next week or so! My favorite character is Ron Swanson (played by Nick Offerman, who, in real life, is married to Megan Mullaly, Karen from "Will and Grace" whom I also love). Anyway, I love Ron Swanson and Ron Swanson loves breakfast food. He even has a portrait of a breakfast food plate in his office behind the desk!

Much like Ron, I LOVE breakfast foods as well. I've spent many a fun meal at Waffle House, and love seeing my friends on the weekends when we either cook breakfast (they cook, not me!) or go eat brunch before we all head back to our homes. This morning, I had another fabulously unexpected breakfast memory. I woke up late this morning as I'd been up for a good portion of the night not being able to sleep, and I took Parker out first thing, as usual. We decided to walk towards our friend Lori's house. Lori lives across the street and down about three houses. The front of her house has a perfect view of my backyard and driveway. She's a total stalker, really. Additionally, my cousin lives down the road the opposite way, about 2 blocks and across the street diagonally from her, is my Aunt Ju. So we are all close neighbors in what we like to call "the Village".

Lori is a fabulous cook and has been inducted as part of the family-- I love hanging out with her and she's one of the most generous people I know. She also has a really cute house which we got to decorate for Christmas and that was a lot of fun! So, this morning, I'm walking Parker and I look up and my Aunt Ju is peering out Lori's window with her little pet Willie. We head on up and totally lucked out-- Lori had cooked breakfast for Ju and Emilee, but Em had decided to sleep late and I was able to step up and take her place. Yummy fried eggs (my fav!), grits, sausage and biscuits with jelly. It was fabulous. Lori's such a good cook and we had a great time sitting around watching random tv shows and laughing. Its always fun at her house!

Unfortunately, my day went downhill from there, but I did get further evidence that my cousin Em is the best cousin in the world, and managed to take down all the ornaments and lights from the Christmas tree as well as doing a few loads of laundry. Now, the whole town is hunkered down, ready for the big ice storm that's supposed to be hitting, well, now. So far, so good, and, more importantly, we still have power. I'm headed to bed. Hope everyone had a great day and a great breakfast!!

2 comments:

Nicholas Carr said...

You headed to bed at 7:21 pm. I hope that was was not meant literally. Also, what happens when Evan is on Drudge Report one day and stumbles across your blog? Awkwardness...

Jessica said...

Um, apparently, the time stamp is a bit off as it was much later than that when I posted!
Also? I've refrained from finding Evan on facebook for that same reason...