Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

# 11 Oh, so they have the internet on computers now?

I work super hard. Ha ha ha, I cannot really type that entire sentence without laughing. I do sometimes work really hard. But other times, like now, I use my time at work to peruse the internet. I find that working hard for a while usually necessitates a break and then I can sit in front of the computer and check out some of my favorite websites. When I used to work for Judge Gordon, right after law school, I had a lot of time on my hands. A lot. Literally, there were hours most days where I had nothing to do. So, I got into the habit of checking out different websites, usually celebrity gossip websites, and then I'd see another interesting article and and follow it to another website and so on and so on. I amassed quite a large number of websites that I read faithfully and, as a result, I was up to date on a whole lot of useless knowledge, mostly celebrity related. Unfortunately, and perhaps, to some of you, unbelievably, I don't check out many of those sites anymore or as often. But there are a few websites to which I'm pretty loyal and read daily. Here are a few of my favorite websites and why:





Laineygossip


This is my alltime favorite website and if I could only ever check out one website again for the rest of my life, this would be it. Lainey (Elaine Lu) is a tv journalist in Vancouver, Canada, and this website started out as a weekly email newsletter about her stories of interviewing celebs and her take on the actual gossip of Hollywood. I love it. I love her. This website is now a massive celebrity gossip site and Lainey does an internet celebrity gossip talk show as well as a lot of television celebrity news-- she goes to all the major awards shows and press junket stuff and always gives a lot of interesting behind the scenes-type gossip-- who's nice, who's not, who's got issues, etc. I find myself agreeing with a lot of what she says-- she's very knowledgeable and very honest. She's also really good at giving "behind the scenes" gossip-- like how celebs treat journalists and other crew members, how celebs manipulate the media and publicity, how celebs have patterns of behavior, etc. Its an interesting world. For example, yesterday, she just had an article, written by her friend Sarah (Lainey does most of the writing, but has a couple friends pop in every so often with different areas of expertise-- Sarah's is movies-- she has her own blog, CineSnark) about how movie companies, directors, actors and show business types "campaign" for the Oscars even though the Oscars as supposed to be for the "best movies", but for who campaigned the hardest or spent the most money. Its going to be a week-long series and its so interesting. Lainey deserves a whole blog devoted to her, so I will stop gushing now.

Tvtattle

This website is a roundup of all television-related news (hence the rather obvious name!). It links to other websites and I love it because it always has a ton of stuff and its updated all the time. I love my television shows! It also is really good about posting articles about old television shows or actors and what they are up to now, so that's fun.

Gawker

I love gawker. Its hilarious. Its a similar, news round-up type website, but its really funny and it has hysterical recaps of lots of shows. Shows I love (like Top Chef) or rarely watch (like Real Housewives) are even funnier when you read the recap.



Designspongeonline


This is a super cool design website-- its full of really beautiful design inspiration. The writers showcase fabulous homes, gardens, parties, and cool things to buy. They have a really cool column called "Living In..." where they pick something, usually a movie, and gather all types of clothes, jewelry, furniture, household accessories, etc., to match the "theme". For example, a recent one was "Living in Marie Antoinette" with a beautiful white chaise lounge, black bow flats, pink macrons, vintage playing cards, a white marble bust, cashmere knee socks, and many beautiful stills of the movie. Its very inspiring and they've done the movies Big, Pretty in Pink, Last of the Mohicans, Charlie Brown Christmas, and all sorts of other stuff. They also have super cool City Guides with lots of cool places to check out-- shop, eat, see, stay. Everytime I plan on visiting a new city, I always check out the City Guides, just in case. Unfortunately, they haven't added Bay Springs, Rolling Fork, Wiggins, Pelahatchie or Petal yet. I'm sure they will get around to it soon though.


Some other pretty design blogs I like to check out:


The Inspired Room

La Dolce Vita

I also love Televisionwithoutpity--
I've previously discussed my fondness for watching random television shows over and over-- its relaxing-- I put them on and since I've seen them a million times, I can just have the noise in the background and its comforting. I also like to make sure I've watched all the shows in a series and, if I really like the show, I like to read recaps, particularly funny ones. I love this website-- they make fun of every single show you can imagine and lots of shows no longer on tv. Their recaps of Angel are particularly hysterical.

And finally, I love reading my friends blogs but most people I know don't update often enough for me (that's a pointed remark to some of you). So, start a blog and then update a lot and I'll read it! Now, get back to work and quit reading my blog.

No comments: