Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

# 56 More FAQs....

I've decided to spread all these questions out for as many blog posts as possible!!

Jessica, what about all your ridiculously many organizations that you are overly involved with? What will you do without them?

I will be leaving everything behind! I'm so super sad about it, but that's life. I will continue to do some things with LJA until I leave (like the Gala this weekend), but I've already given my "notice". Technically, come May, I can "transfer" to the Cleveland Junior Auxiliary, if I want to. I will decide on this later-- its a great way to make friends, and I really do love JA, but I don't want to get myself over-extended and over-involved up there.

Jessica, what are some changes you plan to make in your life as a result of this move?

Well, I'm going to try not to be so hard on myself. While I've always been a bit of a perfectionist, I think I've taken it to a whole new, unhealthy level here recently. I make mistakes and I have serious problems forgiving myself for those mistakes and then that bleeds over into my life-- i.e., I'm so worried about previous mistakes that I'm scared to make new decisions for fear of making more mistakes! Its an ugly cycle.

Jessica, what are you looking forward to the most in your new life?

Not having to compete with Dad for Parker's attention. Just kidding! She loves me best!
Seriously, I am really excited about having a lower-stress job-- one that I can leave behind at 5 p.m. I'm also looking forward to not being so busy-- with JA, the Museum, church, driving back and forth to Newton, work, etc. I'm looking forward to getting home after work, relaxing, cooking dinner, reading and going to bed. Drama and stress-free. Even a bit boring.

Jessica, what will you miss about Laurel?

Waffle House and Arbys. Are you kidding? I'm going to miss everything and everyone in Laurel (well, maybe not everyone. I'm looking at you, P. Chesser). I'm not even going to think about how much I will miss my family and friends-- they've been so good to me, especially here recently. But, there are lots of changes underfoot, especially with my family, so this is as good a time as any to move along. I will miss my GA girls at church-- I love them so much! I will miss JA and the Museum, and I will miss Laurel-- its a beautiful town. However, I want Laurel to be my home-- the place I go to visit my family, to relax, to enjoy myself-- like it used to me. Unfortunately, now, by living here, its become the place filled with my past mistakes and broken relationships, etc. So, I'm looking forward to getting some space between me and Laurel, so that one day it can go back to being a wonderful place that I look forward to seeing.

Jessica, what will you miss most about Newton?

Cooks BBQ and my daddy. Even more so than Laurel, Newton is my home. I'm lucky to be able to call both of those places "Home" and I mean it. I know the roads and the people and the buildings like my heart. I don't have anything to spoil my love of Newton the way I do, right now, for Laurel. Right now, its the most welcoming place in my life-- the people here are wonderful and I will miss them incredibly much. I'm sure I will expound on these two places much more later.

Jessica, what will Parker miss most about Laurel?

Tucker and Bentley. For those of you who don't know, Parker has been involved in sort of a classic "love triangle". On the one hand you have Bentley, the Pomeranian three doors down-- comes from good stock, good family, well-groomed, nice neighborhood. On the other hand is Tucker-- the black dog from next door to Aunt Ju's house. Tucker roams the streets day and night, doesn't have a curfew, gets into trouble and hangs out with a rough group (Al Gore and his brother the beagle). And sweet, pretty, innocent, lovable Parker is in the middle. Parker loves both dogs, for different reasons. Bentley is the more affluent of the two, and for many months has been living at his house "in the country" (no joke!), but there is a connection there and everyday we have to walk down to Bentley's house to see if he's home. Whereas Tucker is more rogue-- when we go visit Aunt Ju, Tucker comes over to play and the two of them have the best time (Tucker and Parker, not Tucker and Aunt Ju). She's really upset about leaving them but I'm not sure she would have ever been able to choose, so I believe God has one perfect little dog up there for her to play with.

Jessica, what will Parker miss most about Newton?

Probably Dad. Or the grass at the church where she likes to play. And poop.

Jessica, can we see more pictures of your house?


This is the view from the front porch. My next door neighbor on the left is the manager of Wal-Mart who is only in town two days a week and the neighbor on the other side is a retired Delta State professor. I cannot wait to meet him.



This is Parker's favorite part-- the backyard! Its got a double fence with plenty of room for the sweetest girl to play!!



Jessica, is there any truth to the rumors that Parker has asked to stay behind in Newton with Dad so she can "finish out the school year"?

That is outrageous-- an absolute rumor spread by my nemesis, Chesser. Don't believe everything you hear.

Jessica, does Evan know?

No. This isn't something I want to talk about right now. Its too hard.

Jessica, will you be having any going-away parties?

Yes. I hope so. Have one and invite me. Also, I will be accepting gifts.

4 comments:

Nicholas Carr said...

This is pure gold. Very funny. However, I am a bit perplexed as to why you haven't discussed me yet. Leaving home yada yada leaving family blah blah. Yet, you are now near an hour from me. We can meet in Batesville to go to Grizzlies games and you can visit often and so can I. And dad has somewhere to stay until May. No mention of all of this.

kjgatlin said...

I love the excitement I'm reading about your move, Jess. I can't wait to come for a visit. Do I need to have an invite?
Great format with the question/answer thing. I can see it now--you'll write at night and work in the day for a short while. Your first book will catapult you to stardom, and you'll leave the profession altogether to be an author! Start thinking of your pen name!
You go, Girl.

Jessica said...

Aunt Jane,
You can absolutely come visit-- you never need an invite! Ever since I've decided to move, I've been finding all sorts of magazine articles, etc. about places in and around Cleveland and the Delta-- lots of good eating! So come on! Perhaps I will write a book someday! It would be so fun!

Jessica said...

Nicholas, you are right. I've failed to mention this- I suppose my excitement clouded my short-term memory. I am really excited about being closer to Oxford, and therefore, you! Also, I love Cracker Barrel, so we can meet and go there! I will write a blog about this soon, if you promise to forgive me!