Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

# 50- 51 Delta ghosts, dog-nappers and murder...

Today I had lunch with my good friend Melinda-- whom I adore. I always have a good time with her-- she's fun and creative and supportive and caring and generous and just an all around great person. She takes super beautiful photos and turns them into cool pieces of art (I WANT one of those calendars, Melinda!). And more importantly, at least for purposes of this post, she has introduced me to my new favorite book series-- written by Carolyn Haines.

These are my new favorite books! Melinda let me borrow them quite a long time ago but the first two books sat unopened for a long time. A week or so ago, I picked them up and was hooked. I've sped through the first two and am now anxiously awaiting the third book. My mom's even started reading them and she's enjoying them as well. I love Sarah Booth-- I want to be just like her, and perhaps, soon, I will be a lot like her.

This is the first one:


Meet Sarah Booth Delaney... an unconventional southern belle whose knack for uncovering the truth is about to make her the hottest detective in Zinnia, Mississippi... if it doesn't make her the deadest.

No self-respecting lady would allow herself to end up in Sarah Booth's situation. Unwed, unemployed, and over thirty, she's flat broke and about to lose the family plantation. Not to mention being haunted by the ghost of her great-great-grandmother's nanny, who never misses an opportunity to remind her of her sorry state- or to suggest a plan of action, like ransoming her friend's prize pooch to raise some cash.

But soon Sarah Booth's walk on the criminal side leads her deeper into unladylike territory, and she's hired to solve a murder. Did gorgeous, landed Hamilton Garrett V really kill his mother twenty years ago? And if so, what is Sarah Booth doing falling for this possible murderer? When she asks one too many questions and a new corpse turns up, she is suddenly a suspect herself... and Sarah Booth finds that digging up the bones of the past could leave her rolling over in her grave.

The second one-- my favorite so far:


The third one that I am excited to read!


I love Sarah Booth-- she's a Delta girl through and through. And she solves the most random mysteries and she's super funny while she does it. Sarah's single and she's kinda choosing between Hamilton, the dark, mysterious guy who is in and out of the story all the time and is kinda shady but irresistible, and Harold, who, despite having a terrible name, is super perfect-- he's smart, reliable, successful and crazy about Sarah. In the second book, she still hasn't chosen Harold and its beginning to stress me out! I think it shows a sign of me maturing that I adore Harold so much. I mean, I'm the girl who always chose Jess over Dean for Rory Gilmore and give me a bad boy and I'll chose him every time (Exhibit A: my life). So I'm happy with my newfound maturity in loving Harold so much even though to some, he might be "boring". I love him. I love Harold. I want Harold to come find me!!

Also, to my negative nelly readers, I must apologize for not always being perfect-- when this year started out, I promised to do my absolute best to post everyday and there have been a few days that I've failed to live up to that promise. I forgive myself, so you should too! Its hard work to maintain a blog. While I am fun, fabulous, smart and interesting ALL the time, its sometimes hard for that to come across on the blog and often I find myself with blogger's block. Or, more likely, the stars don't align-- i.e., I don't have internet access at home, or I want to post a blog with lots of pictures but my camera cord is in my office in Decatur, as it is now. This blog, like me, is a work in progress-- sometimes its interesting and fun and long, and sometimes its interesting and fun and short and sometimes its boring and long or boring and short. I can't please everyone. So, cut me some slack here-- sometimes, especially recently, its been all I could do to post anything at all-- I'm getting better and I hope you will all keep reading!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jess...I am sorry that you are only on the second book....I have read them all...and contacted the author to try and hurry her up a little on the next book...She is refusing to hurry...I suppose it is because she has been planning the Daddy's Girls weekend on the coast mid March...I wanted to go, but will be in New York! Next year for sure...but to Sarah...She belongs with...(a love interest you should pick up in the next book or so)...and I would never ruin it for you! When you finish those...be sure to read the Stephanie Plum novels from Janet Evanovich! I am so sad that you are moving...but super excited for you....you will be missed, but I will always feel like your here with your blog! Love you girl! Lesley~ P.S. Call me or email me when you figure out who Sarah Booth Delaney really belongs with!!!

Jessica said...

Lesley-- it was so good to see you Friday, even if I spent the entire time work and not playing! You looked beautiful!

However, I cannot imagine I will like anyone for Sarah Booth other than Harold-- perhaps I will be proven wrong! I also emailed the author and she was so nice! I've decided to go to the Daddy's Girl weekend and I'm really excited about it! Next year we will meet up and go!