Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

# 41 Snowstorms, Allen Taylor, Technical Fouls and Begging my daddy's forgiveness...

Yesterday was one for the history books, folks. In my life, I've traveled to Starkville a number of times-- usually for a basketball or baseball game, but once for a tennis match, and once for a job fair with the Law School. Perhaps some other times, but I've managed to repress those memories. Now, I'm here to say that I personally think Oxford is the best town in Mississippi. I think its a fabulous place, full of charm and personality and old and modern and fun people and great memories. I've got my opinions on other SEC school towns, and up until yesterday, I was never that impressed with Starkville. I'm being honest here, people, don't hate me. I've had some wonderful friends who went to State and have tried over the years to convince me that it was a great town, but I'd only seen bits and pieces of the area and campus. Specifically, I'd eaten a whole heck of a lot at Obys (one of the best things about Starkville, in my opinion, and I'm glad Oxford has one now as well!) and I'd been on campus for sporting events. However, since my taste runs red and blue and not maroon and white, I'd never been that impressed with any of the sporting event locations decorations or anything.

Last night, I traveled with my sweet cousin Emilee to see her Arkansas Razorbacks take on the Mississippi State Bulldogs (I don't bother calling them TSDS or anything stupid like that. Its a waste of my energy. And I will never stoop so low as to say GTHMSU as I believe there really is a hell and its a terrible place and for me to say that about anyone or anything is incredibly offensive and if you say it to me [GTHOM], I do take offense to it. Another topic for another day!)

Anyway, when I left Laurel, I took my sweet Parker outside for a walk and I didn't even bother to put on a jacket- it wasn't that cold, even for me. However, after we left, I realized I'd made a huge mistake. It was getting colder and colder, and my outfit, as cute as it was and my shoes, as super cute as they were, just weren't made for keeping people warm. And as we drove, it got worse. The snow began to come down and it came down hard. We started laughing as we found out that there was major snow in the Golden Triangle Area and that we didn't even need tickets-- because of all the bad weather, they were going to let anyone in free! Luckily, we didn't buy our tickets so we weren't out any money! Our trip took a long time but we finally made it. Unfortunately, Obys closed early because of the weather (presumably) so we just went straight to the game.

We found a fairly decent parking spot, but it was made all the better by our new best friend (NBF) who graciously offered us a ride on his golf cart. Despite the fact that we were standing by a red car with an Ole Miss tag and Ole Miss stickers. What a nice guy!

Now, its time for a confession. It was cold. I was freezing. My tank top and short sleeved sweater underneath my jacket didn't do a thing to keep me warm, and my aforementioned shoes were worthless in the snow and slush. As I dug through things in my backseat that might be of help, I found something (sidenote-- this is why I don't like cleaning out my car-- you never know what you might need, and it always seems like I need something that was in the backseat as soon as I clean out my car). I found... a MSU hat. Its not mine. I don't even wear Ole Miss hats because it makes my ears stick out and accentuates my uneven earlobes. But it was there. I'm not going into details as to why it was there, but its been there a while and it won't be returned to its original owner anytime soon.

It wasn't an easy decision, and to be honest, had I known that mere moments after I walked away from vehicle, my knight in a shining yellow Event vest would drive by and give me a ride, thus negating my need to be extremely warm for the long walk, I might have left it in the vehicle. But, hindsight is 20/20 and I'd read somewhere that 95% of the heat in your body escapes through your head. So on my head went the dirty baseball hat.

Which turned out to be a fantastic memory from the night-- I was wearing a stupid looking hat, and it looked stupid on me and I didn't care at all. It was a really fun night-- I didn't care who won the game, I didn't worry about seeing anyone I knew or cared about, I didn't care about anything but having a good time! I laughed over wearing that hat and I didn't even take it off for most of the game! I cheered for whatever happened to be going on, I laughed at whichever player did something stupid, I prayed for Reynaldo Sidney to get into a fight, I screamed happily when he got a technical even though it was a pretty boring one, I ate two hot dogs, I ignored the looks from people who thought I was crazy, I screamed for the Razorbacks while wearing a MSU hat, I laughed and danced and had a blast. Em and I had the best time!!

After the game was over, we walked back to our car (no golf cart for us!) It was at this point, I was glad to have the hat-- it seemed a lot longer of a walk back to the car than the drive from the car. Plus, it was snowing harder and the snow was past my bare ankles. We even got to see our favorite event volunteer, who remembered us and was kind enough to point us in the direction of our vehicle when we'd almost given up hope of finding it and were nearly to the point of laying in the snow, waiting for sleep to come.

We then drove around Starkville and got to see some really rather pretty areas! We saw downtown, we saw a TON of white houses-- seriously, is there some kind of code or something on the color of paint in the historical districts? We saw Abners, Ooh La La, and Old Venice (all of which reminded me of Oxford!), we saw idiots sledding down hills into the middle of the street, and we saw people having snowball fights from across the street, we found tons of bars but no food places, and we toured campus several times (campus is really pretty-- I'll go to my grave believing that Ole Miss's brick buildings are the most beautiful things ever, but MSU campus was super nice and looked really pretty with all the fresh snow everywhere. It was also refreshing to see a spread-out campus-- I mean, Ole Miss puts up a building anywhere there is more than 4 feet of space, but MSU was sprawling and beautiful. I'm sure the students wish it wasn't quite so big when they are walking to class, but it was so pretty last night. Makes me wish Ole Miss had more space.)

We finally made it home, super, super late, but we had a great, great time and made some really good memories.

At the game:


When we walked in the door, the first thing that happened was we were given this cup with a hand sanitizer and TWO chapsticks in it! Perhaps I was wrong about MSU all this time...


Proof that we were where we said we were:


Em better back up off my hat:


Our favorite Starkville resident-- sorry I didn't get a picture of his face-- he was quite cute. When we saw him after the game, we were literally too cold to take anymore pictures. My fingers were numb!


Riding on our cowbell chariot to the game!



Baseball field in the snow-- our event volunteer slowed down so I could take this picture!


Em is a proud Razorback fan!

Em and I in front of baseball stadium after the game:


Em's a silly girl:


My snow-covered vehicle:


Em is still a proud Razorback fan!


BLOGGER's NOTE: This is my 100th Blog! Woohoo! Its the big 1-0-0! How exciting! Where are my gifts? Where are my flowers? Or Congratulation cards? No, seriously? Where are they? Doesn't anyone care?

No comments: