Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

# 54 I think a change... will do me good

Yesterday I explained my obviously lacking skills in counting. And today is blog # 54. 54 is the year my parents were born-- coincidence or conspiracy? Because today is the day of a big announcement. Now, I've learned my lesson about BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS back in the Fall with mine and Katherine's book list. So, I've purposely not really made much reference to this BIG ANNOUNCEMENT in the past couple weeks, though I've been busy preparing for it. I've now officially told everyone that needs to know and am now announcing it on this blog.

Parker and I are moving.

To the Delta.

With a new job.

I'm terrified.

And super excited.


Yeah, this is a big change. And a big announcement (makes up for the book list fiasco, doesn't it, haters?). I don't think its probably a surprise to anyone who knows me well, knows me a little bit, reads my blog, has met me once or even walked past me on a sidewalk that I've not been super happy here recently. That's no shocker. I've been unhappy with this whole law-practice-on-your-own-thing for a while but only in the last couple months have I admitted it out loud. I've also had a lot of other things going on in my life, and frankly, I've been a bit depressed over everything-- its gotten harder and harder to get back up and get myself happy the way I want to be. I've fallen into a rut-- one of those, "its easier to sit here and watch 12 episodes of NCIS and avoid my problems rather than actually going and doing something about my problems". That's not a good way to be happy, you know?!

Luckily for me, I have a super fantastic network of friends and family who are fully supporting this decision. They helped me look for jobs, wrote me letters of recommendation, listened to me whine about my problems, got me kleenex when I was crying, tried really hard to cheer me up, continued to listen to me whine, built my confidence up, fussed at me when I needed it, and tried not to scream as I cried and whined AGAIN over the same problems I found myself in. Most of them are readers of this blog and I don't think I'll ever be able to thank them fully, nor do I think they will ever know how much I needed them at this point in my life. Perhaps someday, when my emotions are not so fresh and raw, I will, for therapeutic (wow, I totally misspelled that word- wasn't even close) reasons, I will expand on some of my more ridiculous issues I've been having lately, but probably not. I've talked myself to death over these issues.

But one conclusion I've come to is that I need a fresh start. I need a change. I'm terrified of change, and as one person recently put it, "change is very hard for me. I resist and resist until when I finally do make a change, its under the worst possible circumstances." This is really me, which may or may not be surprising to you. I sat around and stayed miserable for a long time, and then I finally paused NCIS, got up off the couch and decided to look for jobs. I found one. Its in Clarksdale, MS (Coahoma County). Its with DHS as a child support attorney. Now, I'm pretty much sick of being an attorney and would love nothing more than to find a non-law related job, but this one seems like a good fit and will be a good change for me from this current job, so I think I will give the law a second chance.

I'm actually going to be living in Cleveland, MS, which is about 30 minutes from Clarksdale. Apparently, everyone in the Delta lives in one place and drives to another place to work, so this is nothing unusual. So, that's the big announcement. Are you excited? Are you going to come visit?

No comments: