Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Wow, today hasn't been great...

I cannot believe how unbelievably rough today has been, already! First, some back ground. My mom has a lumbar sprain, or a spinal tap or something wrong with her that's causing major pain. Now my sweet mom lives with a lot of pain. My grandfather lived with a lot of pain and you would have never known it. Sometimes, with my my mom, you know it. But, she's pretty good about going through the pain and even when you know she is hurting, you don't really know how bad she is hurting. But the past three days, she has been in major, read-it-all-over-her-face pain. She's gone ton the doctor twice and they've given her medicine which hasn't really helped but merely knocked her out. Her conversations have been hilarious when she does wake up!

So, I've been taking care of her Sunday and yesterday and since she's mostly slept, its not been hard. I was planning to work today in Decatur, and usually, when I do that, I come spend the night with my dad. But last night I decided to stay and get up super early and come so that I could take care of her.

So, this morning, I wake up around 5:45 which is well before my alarm was set. I know I won't be able to go back to sleep (alert readers will know I have sleeping issues), so I lay in bed, trying to figure out how, once again, my dog Parker, all 14 pounds of her has managed to move me into the smallest corner of the bed while taking up the rest of the bed for herself. Did I mention I am sleeping in my brother, Nick's bed? Yep, the air conditioning upstairs is out at my house. Not to be confused with last month when the downstairs air was out. Yep, summer's been fun, folks.

Luckily for me, I was able to strongly suggest to Nick that he get lost and stay with a friend all last week and weekend and until we get this fixed. And Nick, knowing a losing situation when he sees one, agreed.

So, this morning, right at 6:00, my dad's friend Mr. Buster calls me. Naturally, I am confused since I don't typically get calls that early in the morning and its even more atypical for me to get a call from Mr. Buster. He apparently called my number instead of my dad's. And I'm thinking, wow, what could he be calling about this morning? I mean, I KNOW Dave's not up at this hour. So, I go on to get ready and thought I hear my phone ring again but then decided its my too-early-in-the-morning imagination. Thirty minutes later, I realize it wasn't, and my dad has called and text messaged me that he is in the hospital at Andersons. Minor chest pains. Like an idiot, I wake up my mother and spend 10 minutes explaining the situation to her. She's concerned (obviously) and thinks she should get in the car and head that way. Fortunately for all Central MS drivers, she then gets distracted by the bandage and gauze on her right arm where they presumably took blood yesterday. And proceeds to ask me what it is and why its there and will I take it off for her. I convince her that its probably not a good idea for her to drive and she agrees. I'm ready by then and Parker and I take off. Once I'm almost to the hospital, my mom calls again and asks where I am. She then tells me I've made really good time (which I hadn't). And she asks what time it was and gets confused as she thinks I only left a couple minutes ago. How in the world her medicine-laden mind believed I made it 65 miles in 10 minutes, and how that's labeled "good time" and not "faster than the speed of light", I'll never know. I remind her not to drive anywhere while I am gone.

I make it to the hospital. Dad's fine. Since he had previous heart problems (another post for another time), they want to keep him overnight as a precaution but they don't think its a heart attack. I stay for a while and call my sister, who is about to start her second day of her new job. She's freaking out and dramatic and suggests, only half-jokingly, that once she left town, everyone's fallen apart!

My dad is discussing heart attacks and health problems and issues with the nurses and making jokes and it hits me-- he has turned into my Pop. For those of you in the know (lucky you!), you will know my recently-deceased Pop had a knack for making friends and talking their heads off. I can't tell you how many times I've heard him tell the same story over and over to every single nurse/orderly/patient/doctor/random visitor/guy who happened-to-get-stuck-in-an-elevator-with-us. So now my dad's doing the same thing!!!

[Sidenote: this is NOT to be confused with the incident last week when I walked into the house at night, started turning off every single light that was on, and asking my sister if we were made of money and to turn off the lights please, cause we've got to keep our electric bill down. I felt like I'd turned into a mini-David Carr overnight, and that I should go to Hardees for a DC to celebrate!)

Anyway, Dad's fine-- he has to do a stress test in the morning and I'm to bring him a book to read, some tennis shoes and socks. Mom seems to be okay, last I checked. Its going to be a long week, I believe.

In other long, rambling, not really important news, my friend Katie is now blogging!! I am so excited. I want all my readers to rush over to her blog, here and check it out!! Hopefully you won't all go at once or else the server might get overloaded.

Seriously, I am excited about her blogging and me blogging-- it truly shows that great minds think alike in that we've started doing this at the same time!!! Hopefully we'll keep it up!! I love Katie. I've got lots of good stories to tell about her. Unfortunately, she has even better ones on me, so, never mind!

Long post today but its been a hectic day and I'm exhausted and I don't edit well when tired. Plus, its nice to get all this out of my head, like a diary! Or therapy.

No comments: