Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were??

The above quote is by Satchel Paige and its something I've been thinking about since yesterday, when I discussed my dad turning into my Pop and myself turning into my dad. I don't think anyone who knows me well would think I'm not sorta an old person already-- I like to go to bed early, if possible, I love my heating pad, and I don't like loud music.

I've been thinking of time when I realized I was officially an adult and, kinda old.

1. When my friends and I spent an entire hour discussing health insurance, lack thereof, deductibles, and policies. And we weren't even doing this ironically.

2. When I started fussing about turning the lights off and the air up. I started this a long time ago (see, yesterday's post) but I really started pushing the issue a few months ago after getting our latest electricity bill. Of course, I rarely fuss about the gas bill in the winter because I HATE being cold, but I don't mind it being warm. In fact, my upstairs air stays on about 78 throughout the summer.

3. When I started driving past older men in the community I knew, waving and saying "Old-Timer". My dad used to do this.

4. When I started viewing my parents as less of parents and more of friends, peers.

5. When I started paying for my sister and brother's lunches sometimes, or I tried to slip them a ten dollar bill. Note: This used to happen much more than it does now. I'm self-employed.

6. When I started shaking people's hands a lot.

7. When I stopped going to my friend's baby showers and started going to their kid's birthday parties. And then started going to their school events.

8. When people started calling me "ma'am."

9. When I started carrying my reading glasses around-- putting them on while reading something, taking them off as soon as I am done, using them to make a point in conversation.

10. When I realized how much I love Office Depot. Its like Candyland for adults who work in offices.

1 comment:

CJ said...

You keep your air on 78...AHHHH!!! I would totally melt!