Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Soon, I will be off...

Heading to New Orleans!! I am so excited! I LOVE New Orleans! I know, most people think its dirty and don't really like it. Well, most big cities are dirty, so that's not a big deal to me. I used to think the same way, though- I didn't really care for the Big Easy. In fact, it wasn't until a couple summers ago when my dear friend, and avid blog reader, Penny, moved down there that I really began to like the City! We have had lots of fun times down there and I only wish I could go more often!

This weekend is the Ole Miss-Tulane game at the SuperDome. Its been forever since I've been to the SuperDome (last time my dad and Nick went, Dad caught the football after an extra point-- he was on the video screen. He and Nick are ALWAYS on the tv-- football, baseball, basketball. They are totally celebrities) and Penny scored us some free tickets (Thanks Penny!!). Parker and I will be heading out soon. In fact, her pink polka dot bed is sitting by the door in the dining room ready to be put in the car. And she's laying in the bed! So sweet!!

I'm looking forward to seeing Katherine, David, Gregg, Christy and hopefully lots of others as well! My dad and Nicholas and some of his friends are going as will be Mr. Phil!

Here are some of my favorite things in NOLA:

BEE SWEET CUPCAKES




These are literally the best cupcakes I've ever eaten. If you know me (and I'm sure there aren't any people reading this blog who don't know me), you know that I really like my breads, my potatoes, my carbs. I'll cut someone for a good piece of garlic bread. But, sweets, believe it or not, I could mostly do without. Oh, I'll eat them, and there are occasions where I crave sweets, but I'd be okay without them. But I ADORE these cupcakes. They are so yummy! I cannot believe how good they are. Penny told me about this place and we went and I fell in love. I go everytime I am in town! Penny is even wonderful enough to occasionally surprise me with some when she comes this way! I like the plain chocolate or vanilla variations, but there are all sorts of fun kinds-- the Roger Rabbit, a carrot cake cupcakes, I Love Lucy, made of red velvet,etc. Lots of fun! I plan to go there tomorrow to get some and I promised Nick I would get him and his friend one as well! I cannot recommend these highly enough (although when I was nice enough to buy a bunch for my family, they were idiots and waited forever to eat them and the cupcakes were stale. I won't make that mistake again!)

St. Paddy's Day Parade

I don't love Mardi Gras- its too busy, too crowded, too much trouble. But, last year, my friends Courtney and Penny and I happened upon the St. Paddy's Day Parade on Magazine Street (while eating at Juan's Flying Burrito, which is excellent!). I am unable to find any pictures since I am in a hurry-- but its like a mini, more family-friendly Mardi Gras! It was so fun and they throw the traditional beads and footballs and bracelets and stuff, but they also throw cabbage, carrots, crackers, garlic, onions and all sorts of other actual food items! And yes, that's a bit dangerous. I actually had bruises on my arms and was luckily able to grab a large cabbage coming right at someone's head! That day we met several local people who don't go to Mardi Gras, but made a point to come to these parades to literally "grocery shop"! They had bags ready and everything. We found out later that these items are ingredients in a traditional Irish stew that's made on St. Paddy's Day! I cannot wait to go back next year!!

Ignatius



This is a fabulous restaurant that Penny and I randomly walked into. Unfortunately, I've totally forgotten what I ate, but I do remember thinking it was the best thing I've ever eaten! I often feel torn in New Orleans-- should I eat somewhere I know is great that I've already been or should I try something else? There are so many good places to eat but what if they aren't as good as somewhere I've eaten before? This same reasoning is why I almost ALWAYS get the same thing at a restaurant-- I know I like it, and I'm afraid if I try something new, I won't like it as much or at all.

Okay, there are so many more wonderful places I love in New Orleans, but that's another blog post for another time. Right now, I've got to hit the road!

1 comment:

CJ said...

St Paddy's day I'm totally there. So fun!!!!!