Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mosquitos, McCarty's, and morbid pictures...

Friday night, Awesome McAwesome got a craving for fish tacos from the local eatery, Mosquito Burrito.  He didn't want to go alone, so he said to himself, "Awesome, who is sitting at home with nothing to do on a Friday night and would be willing to go eat dinner with me?"  And he answered himself, "Duh, Jessica.  She's totally sitting at home by herself watching Star Trek: The Next Generation cause she doesn't have a life.  I'll call her." 

And sure enough, I was available.  After all, I've got that Star Trek episode tivoed so I can pause it. 

We were able to get our friend Laura Beth to go as well.  Laura Beth has a much cooler social life than either me or Awesome, so I'm assuming that someone cancelled on her last minute which is why she was free. 

If you haven't eaten at Mosquito Burrito, you obviously haven't visited the Delta lately.  Mosquito Burrito is the cool, international cousin to Hey Joe's, which I've written about here.  It serves burritos, tacos, nachos and salads, and its very good.  One of those watch-them-make-your-food places like Moe's without the annoying "Welcome to Moe's" every seven seconds.  I've been there several times and I have enjoyed my meal everytime.  Its also cool and funky and interesting like a lot of places in Cleveland and it makes me, an old, boring person, feel cool and hip when I eat there.  I just feel cool and hip, it doesn't actually MAKE me cool and hip.  It doesn't work miracles. 

File photo: I do NOT take pictures that look this good!

So Friday night, last minute, the three of us go eat dinner and it winds up being a really fun, relaxed evening.  We sat around and discussed everything from Laura Beth's secret desire to form an all girls punk band (I'm still waiting for my invite on that one.  I play a mean punk handbell.) to scary photographs; from ridiculous college stories and Awesome's mom's pottery to our exes and pulling pranks (though not on our exes- we are so above that) and everything in between. 

We even brought our own decorations to the place.  Obviously, in the Delta, all the klassy-with-a-k people bring their own McCarty's pottery when they go places.  Its like people who bring their own salad dressing.  Awesome bought this lovely hanging pendant for his mom at McCarty's and it was "delivered" by our friend in the middle of dinner.  Laura Beth bought a similar one.  I, however, was not able to buy one, even though I'd really love one (Birthday Gift Suggestion Alert!).  And McAwesome, being a good friend, decided to bring it in the restaurant and set it on the table instead of placing it in his vehicle.  Thereby ensuring I was able to be good and envious of his gift by the end of the night.  He really is such a kind and thoughtful person.  I kept dropping hints about how he could give his mom a card instead, and give the pendant to someone who'se birthday was, say, coming up, but he obviously never picked up the hint. 

The globe light with my cell phone inside it, using the flashlight app.  Looks pretty, right?
I actually did take this picture.  Looks almost as good as the picture above? Maybe?  Anyway, there is a theory we discussed at length that the burrito's sorta "fold" into a really nice pocket that will stand up on its own, so this is what I was trying to do.  It didn't work so well, but the food tasted just as yummy anyway!
It was one of those really fun, really random nights where your cheeks hurt from laughing and you linger when its time to say goodbye because you are enjoying yourself so much.  We stood outside for a long time and continued our conversation and laughed while this super hyper kid ran around climbing random trees in the middle of the walking track downtown till it was finally time to say goodbye.  It was a great night- good food, good conversation and good memories.   





No comments: