Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Always the favorite...

A few weeks ago, I went to Memphis for one of Betsy's wedding showers.  I am so very proud of Betsy, she's obviously outkicked her coverage (as my dad would say) and found this great guy to marry.  And I've enjoyed being able to spend lots of time with her, get dressed up, go to some fancy parties, enjoy watching my sister be happy during this exciting time. 

But I'm not going to lie-- I'm a bit petty sometimes, and its occassionally hard to not be be overlooked.  I have, at times, felt left out, and a bit depressed.  I don't need for anything really (that Chanel bag isn't, upon reflection, a necessity), but its not always fun to watch someone get all sorts of great gifts and parties thrown for them while you sit there.  Its why we buy presents for older siblings when a baby is born.  I'm only slightly more mature than that!

Luckily, for me, I have a mom who understands this.  She knows this is a hard time for me.  And a couple weeks ago, when we were in Memphis, and watching Betsy open some more fantastic gifts, I must have looked a little forlorn.  Because she turned to me, and brightly said, "Jessica!  I have some things for you! A couple presents.  You are going to love it!"  Seeing visions of early birthday gifts or stacks of books off my Amazon wishlist, I felt encouraged.  Happy.  Here was my sweet mom who understands that, while I try not to be materialistic, its hard to watch someone get tons of presents at all different showers/parties, and not feel left out.  I just knew that my mom understands.  She get's me, y'all. 

So, after all the presents were unwrapped and the cake was eaten, we went outside to her vehicle so she could give me her "gifts".  The first was a book.  Not bad, right?  Well, this was my book.  She was just giving it back to me.  So, not a real gift.  And then she gave me some stuff I'd left behind when I last came to visit.  And then some clothes my aunt had sent to me.

I gave her a huge hug and told her how much it meant to me for her to give me a gift, since she knows how down I've been lately.  And she smiles, and pulls out her purse.  To hand me my "gift".

Two Cadbury Eggs. 

Um, thanks, Mom.  Not exactly what I thought you might have for me. But thank you, nonetheless.  And then she says, "I know how much you love Cadbury Eggs, so I got you TWO!"  The family members nearby nearly hurt themselves laughing. 
I do love Cadbury Eggs.  I'm not much of a chocolate person but I love these things.  And I thank my mom for thinking of me.  One Egg would have just hurt my feelings, but TWO?  You rock, Mom!!


I filtered this picture so it would be cool and hipter.  Not boring and normal like myself.
 I'd already eaten one of the Eggs!

No comments: