Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

How I met the love of my life...

Last Wednesday, I had a real treat.  I was lucky enough to have avid reader (and my little brother) Nick and his roommate, Dillon to come over for a visit.  Many of you readers may remember Nick as being a frequent commenter on both this blog and on facebook regarding the lack of my posts or Parker's hair or both.  While he may laugh at Parker's most recent haircut, and he might make fun of her when she wears her Ole Miss cheerleader outfit or one of her sundresses, he really loves her.  A lot.  His favorite saying is "Parker, I'm not happy with you" whenever she has an accident/jumps on him/ignores him/makes a mess/barks too much/won't sit in his lap/won't stay in his lap when he picks her up and makes her get into his lap/sleeps too much/etc.

But he really loves her.  In fact, Nick was the reason we got Parker in the first place.  He wanted a dog.  I did not.  Because I knew that I would be the one who would take care of her all the time (it was at some point during these dog discussions that I realized I'd kinda turned into my dad.  This was often his excuse when we wanted a pet or something when we were growing up.  He was right and so was I.)

So we decided we would get a dog, but since we are a family of chuckleheads with a serious lack of successful pet relationships, we didn't really know how to go about getting a dog.  Luckily, a day or two after we made this decision, someone who works with my mother told her of an older lady who had a pet she could no longer take care of.  This was the week before MLK day (on Monday) in 2009.  It turned out that the older lady had a sister who had been taking care of the dog, and the sister turned out to be a local city court judge in town, whom I had met before on occasion.  So we called Judge Arnold and she said she would bring the dog over that Sunday afternoon.  We believed it was so we could meet the dog, get a feel for the dog and then, later, decide if we wanted to keep the dog.  My college friend (and also avid reader) and her young daughter Ela, were visiting that weekend as well.  It was a busy weekend at the Carr house!

Judge Arnold brought the dog by and lo and behold, she brought all of Parker's stuff and decided we seemed like nice people (apparently she hadn't really met us yet) and left the dog with us.  We were a bit surprised because we just didn't think it would happen so fast.  Judge Arnold's sister was older, and had previously had many pets, and had gotten Parker, trained her and then the sister's health went down, so Parker had been living with Judge Arnold and her family of pets for a while.

Regardless, we now had a pet.  That no one really knew what to do with.  Least of all, Ela, who was a bit scared of Parker.  We kept her (Parker, not Ela) in the kitchen behind a doggie door, and tried to convince Ela that "Parker can't get out."  Ela then called Parker "Parkercan'tgetout" for a really long time.  And probably still does!

For a few days, we sorta tried to figure out how to handle this dog and how to play with her and how to take her outside and all that fun stuff.  She slept on the floor of Nick's room for a few nights because he is so mean that he would not let her get on the bed.  She was a bit scared of the stairs in the house for a long time, but eventually, she made it all the way up in one go.  About a week after we got her, Nick went to stay with my dad or stay with a friend or something.  So I told him she could sleep in the room with me.  Once again, my suspicions that I would be the one caring for her entirely were entirely correct.  That night she headed up the stairs.  Jumped on my bed.  And snuggled up against my back when I turned the light out.  I fell in love.  She never left.

She quickly became my dog and she has been ever since.  My family loves her so much and I love that they love her.  Cause I love her!  She's fun!

But as fun as she is, she is a good dog.  She absolutely knows who is in charge in this house.  (Hint:  Its not me.)

As much as Nicholas likes to fuss about her, he really does love her.  As evidenced by this picture that I snapped the other night:


1 comment:

DebCarr said...

Two sweetest babies!!!!!!