Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

# 180 Hanging out with some Dangerous Folks...

This morning I woke up early and decided to be Betty Crocker for a while.  I have some leftover lunch meat from my Pickwick weekend.  I was in charge of bringing sandwich makings and apparently, I confused my weekend with that of a family of 45, and brought WAY too much lunch meat and, lucky me, I got to bring it all home.  In an effort to not waste food (starving kids in China and all), I've been trying to eat as much as possible, but I'm frankly a bit sick of turkey and ham.  I don't generally even like ham!

So when I saw this recipe in a magazine yesterday, I was super excited.  First off, I can use my lunch meat!  And second, it involved potatoes and eggs, two of my favorite foods.  Plus, its in a cute little muffin shape, so its fun!

Here's the recipe:

Mini Frittatas

  • 6 slices ham
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I used EVOO)
  • 1 small potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice (I didn't peel because 1. I didn't see this until after I was finished and 2. I'm lazy, so I wouldn't have even if I'd seen it.)
  • 1 small onion (I didn't have this so I didn't use it, but it would have been even better if I did!!)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper (again, I didn't have this but I hate bell peppers so I would not have used it if I did!)
  • salt
  • 8 large eggs
  • 6 Tbsp. milk
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray 12-cup muffin tin with Pam.  Place slice of ham on top of each muffin cup (NOTE:  It says to press into each cup but I think its easier to leave it on top, and then, when you place the potatoes on top, it falls into the muffin cup perfectly.  See?  I do the hard work so you don't have to!).  Warm oil over medium-high heat, add potato and cook, stirring until soft and golden.  Here is where you add the onions and peppers, which, as I mentioned, I didn't have.  So I added garlic spinkles instead.  Much better.  Season with salt, and place onto ham, and push into muffin cups. 

2.  Whisk eggs, milk and salt.  Pour egg mixture into muffin cups so each one is about 2/3 full.  Bake until eggs are cooked through, or about 15 minutes. 

I think this is my new go-to recipe.  Its easy and its fun.  Also, you could add cheese, which, now that I've thought of, I wished I had thought of earlier cause that sounds yummy!  Or bacon.  Everything is better with bacon.  Or even put croutons in the bottom, like breakfast casserole.  Gosh, I should really have my own cooking show.  Is there a need for lazy, broke chefs who just make stuff up to make sorta good food on the Food Network? 

Here are some pictures:

See the difference between the muffin ham options?  


I love eating potatoes just like this.  Unfortunately, I used my last ones this morning.  There was actually one more, but I'm not going to even tell you what it looked like.  It wasn't pretty. 

Before cooking:

I've plated this up very nicely, as you can see-- however, I will be honest.  I ate more than 2.  I just took this picture so you wouldn't think I am a pig.  Ugh, I totally just told on myself. 


After I finished cooking breakfast and then realized I was running late for church, I finished getting ready and headed over to FBC, Cleveland to Sunday School.  I really like my Sunday School class and the service at FBC.  I feel calmer, more peaceful and much better when I get to go to church, so I'm trying to make it a priority.  After church I was invited to eat dinner with some friends, which was really, really nice of them-- I tend to spend lots of time alone and my social skills are sometimes super rusty, and its very great to be able to hang out with a family again!  Especially a nice, fun, normal family-- not that mine isn't.  I mean, in between the screaming and the 14 different conversations and the fussing and the laughing, we are really your average family!  But, I had a great time with the Walker family, and I was able to learn a lot about their lives and what all they've been through, which was super interesting.  I don't have pictures, though, cause that might just be weird! 

1 comment:

Smelling Coffee said...

Your breakfast looks delicious! We're so glad you could have lunch with us... We "dangerous folks" are glad to have you in our lives! :-)

Jennifer