Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

A cup of tea?

I've joined a book club.  Its totally awesome!  I even made the front page of the newspaper that week, although I've not been able to see the actual picture so its possible its not a good one of me, which means I will totally deny its me. 

I play trivia each week with a big group of local Clevelandites (Clevelandians?  Clevelanders?) and one girl, Katie, and I have bonded over our love of books and specific authors, include Carolyn Haines (check her website out here).  She recently invited me to her book club which meets once a month and reads a large variety of different types of books.  My first time to attend was in January and we read "Game of Thrones" . 



You've possibly heard of this series of books because there is now an HBO television series based on them.  We read the first book for book club and there are five, I believe, books out now, the most recent came out in the last few months.  I really enjoyed this book- its right up my alley-- kinda scifi, a bit weird, lots of strange characters, a fantasy world, made up cultures, etc.  I thought it was great.  Its super long, and there are a LOT of characters to keep straight, but it was good.  I'd love to watch the television show, but I don't get HBO.  Since book club, I've read the first four books, and I'm contemplating getting the fifth.  Honestly, I'm a bit burnt out-- the books follow so many characters and they flip back and forth between them and different plot lines.  At first, it was great, and then, as time has gone by, I've gotten less patient with the entire series.  this last book only followed a few of the original characters and introduced a whole bunch of entirely new ones.  That was basically the last straw for me- I'm invested in the original characters and to ignore some of those original ones for an entire book while introducing new ones was an abuse of my loyalty, I believe.  I'm debating if I want to buy the fifth book or just wait a while.  I found myself skipping entire chapters with the new characters and its entirely possible I will regret that when their stories become more important to the book.  I'm sure I'll get over it though.

But the first book was good and I'm really glad I read them all, to be honest.  I'm glad I read them on my nook because these books are very thick.

My first book club was a hit and I enjoyed getting to know some of my friend better and meeting new people.  Plus we had a fabulous dinner at the Cleveland Country Club (the hostess's husband is the chef so he brought out some yummy appetizers!)  And the best part was the end-- the club had just had a fancy party and the chef had bought some chocolate teacups for the dessert-- and he had just enough leftover to make us a fabulous orange cream dessert and put it in the chocolate teacups!!  It was really, really fun!  I'm not into eating that much chocolate all at once, but it was so much fun to look at!


After I'd eaten some of the saucer.  I took the cup home with me to show my mom!
 

No comments: