Pages

Monday, September 24, 2007

My worst nightmare...

Came true this morning. In an effort to make ends meet while starting my law practice, I am living with my aunt. She has a pretty cool attic bedroom that I stay in which is quieter than most places in the house, and allows me to get away from everything when necessary. Its really hot in the attic, but I've made it thought the worst and its about to be winter. Hopefully, by Christmas or a bit after, I'll be living in my own place.

Unfortunately, my aunt doesn't seem to care about the rodent/bug problems in the house. They are everywhere-- especially in the den and kitchen areas. But she's not scared of them and laughs at me when I freak out about seeing a roach. She's actually kinda mean about it. But I hate roaches. Now, I can kill them if necessary, but I'd rather someone else do it. And these roachs are the little ones-- they are the big wood roaches two inches long. Disgusting. My aunt hates lizards and freaked out the other day, screaming like a girl when she saw one in the doorway, but those things don't bother me that much. Certainly not as much as roaches.

Fortunately, I haven't seem many in my upstairs attic room. Until a couple weeks ago, when I woke up in the middle of the night, turned on the light and saw one on my dresser, less than a foot from my head. I freaked out a bit, eventually killed it, but, for good measure, slept on the couch downstairs for a couple nights. I bought some Raid, and sprayed it everywhere till the smell made me sick. And I've seen one more in my room, but it was easily disposed of. Things were well until last night. This morning, technically.

I was dreaming peacefully when I felt something on my face, and I swatted it away. I felt how big it was and heard it thud when it fell off. I immediately freaked out, and turned on the light, but saw nothing. Hoping it was a small little big and I was just confused because I was half-asleep, I went downstairs to use the bathroom, and when I came back, I saw it. On the wall, just inches from where my head once was. A roach. A huge, disgusting roach. And I knew, with a sick feeling in my stomach, that it was the same thing I had just pushed off my face in the middle of my dreams. It was horrible!! I grabbed the Raid, sprayed it over and over, ruining a magazine it landed on, and continued to alternate between spraying and hitting it until it ran under my bed. Now, I know that its probably dead, what with all the spray it inhaled, and I'm not worried about it anymore. Eventually, I will gather the courage to look under the bed to check and see if it is there. But, this morning, I just grabbed my pillow, my phone and a book (which could be interesting insight into my psyche, if you like that sort of thing), and ran downstairs. Where I sprayed another can of raid all over the den and settled on the couch. I wasn't going to sleep anytime soon, adn it was approximately 5 a.m., so I watched Angel and then dozed on and off during JAG. I never really went back to sleep because everytime I closed my eyes, I felt the roach, on my nose, on my face, on my hair, on my back, everywhere. Its a terrible feeling and I've felt it all day long. Even now. Its horrible.

I don't know what I am going to do now. Its been my greatest fear to have a roach crawling on me (ever since I had two roaches crawl over my foot while spending that night at Becky P.'s house in 6th grade-- she had a fabulous old mansion for a house, but the roaches were everywhere). So I honestly don't know what I am going to do-- I cannot imagine sleeping ever again! My brother told me that the chances of it happening again were like a billion to one, but I think the chances of it ever happening were probably about that much and look how that turned out. Anyway, its horrible. I hate roaches. And my aunt just laughed when I told her, she was so obnoxious. But she was much nicer to me this afternoon when she called to give me a list of about ten things she needed done while she was out of town. All things that she could have done before leaving or waited till she returned. She only works 30 hours a week and I am opening my on law practice, but its so much easier for ME to leave work three times in a day to let the electrician in. And heaven forbid we just leave a key for them. Obnoxious.

No comments: