Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Karma Sue...


Karma is real, y'all.  And I'm glad too.  With all the bad karma I've gotten lately through my job from other people, its nice to know that they will someday step in a mud puddle or break a nail and feel my wrath and retribution for what they've put me through. 

But, sometimes karma is positive.

I keep a stash of snacks and lunches and stuff in my office drawer.  I'm often tempted to go get lunch because its so easier but its much more expensive.  So I'm trying to be healthier and cheaper and "bring" my lunch to work.  However, that never works since I never seem to remember to get the lunch from the fridge before I leave in the morning.  To remedy this, in part, I've gone to the grocery store and bought a bunch of food to keep in my office.  I'm sure the mice will love this idea. 

I also keep a bunch of random candy and chocolate in my drawer.  It might be hard to believe, but I'm not a huge chocolate fan.  I like chocolate, I really do.  I've never eaten a piece of chocolate and been like, "man, that was terrible, I totally wish I hadn't done that.  Bad decision."  At least not taste-wise. 

But I don't crave chocolate like many people, especially women do.  I don't even crave sweets that much.  Occassionally I'll be in the mood for ice cream, and I have eaten plenty of desserts, but its mostly like, "oh its in front of me, and it looks ok, I'll have a few bites."  Most of my family loves sweets-- Aunt Ju, Mom, Em and Betsy are from the "just a little something sweet after dinner" camp.  They learned this honestly from my Granddaddy.  I'm not like that.  In fact, I rarely want dessert after dinner.  I'd prefer the taste of the last dinner bite to linger, rather than covering it up with something sweet.  And if I do eat some dessert, I always look for one last bite of bread or vegetable to get rid of that sweet taste. 

As such, candy and chocolate tends to stay a long time in my possession.  Easter candy is usually still around by Halloween and Halloween candy is never gone before my Christmas stocking is full of more candy.  NOT that I'd prefer not to get the candy (Take note, Mom!).  I still want it, just in case.  But I freely give it away, the different between that and, say, a nice piece of garlic bread.  You'd have to be super important to me to get a bite of my garlic bread.  In fact, you'd have to be super important to me AND actually starving before I'd give you a bite.  And only as a last resort.  And only if you were really laying on the guilt. 

A few weeks ago, Nameless came to my office for a work project and I was quite embarassed by my office's lack of guest accomodations.  Not only did we have to move a bulky chair around so he could see the computer, but I didn't even have a cup to put some water in when he was thirsty.  As opposed to his office which is always stocked full of snacks, fruit, water and cokes.  Plus all the coffee fixings you can imagine.  (Blogger's Note:  His well-stocked office is NOT on account of him.  He does not shop for these things nor does he even realize the important of a homey, inviting office.  This is all his boss. A female boss, naturall. He does, thankfully, generously bring me some of those drinks when I haven't had my caffeine in the morning and I am stuck in court.)

So, when he said he was hungry, I was delighted to be able to offer a large bag of M & M's.  A Christmas bag, to be exact.  He ate a bunch and the bag has sat, three-quarters empty, in my drawer, since then. 

Yesterday, a co-worker, Sharlet, asked if I had any chocolate.  I freely gave her the leftover bag and told her to eat it all.  She didn't eat it all, but she got her fill and returned it to me later.  No sweat off my bag.  In fact, I was glad to be able to help. 

And today, karma rewarded my kindness.  Sharlet brought me, as a thank you, a handful of Starbursts. 



It was at that point I realized, I LOVE Starbursts.  You would have thought I was a kid in a, well, a candy store.  A candy store filled with Starbursts!  So life gave me chocolate and I turned it into Starbursts!  Which is a really good trade, in my opinion!  Just imagine what life would give me if I'd given up some garlic bread.  We shall never know.  Cause I am NEVER giving it up.   

No comments: