Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

I hate you, Siri,,,

A few weeks ago, my old Blackberry phone finally died.  Luckily for me, CellSouth (I refuse to call it CSpire which is a terribly stupid name and sounds like ceasefire) had just started carrying iPhones!  A few weeks before, my Blackberry had started messing up a whole lot, and I called my brother (the Carr family resident apple-head) to see when the iPhone would be available to CellSouth customers and I hoped my old phone would last that long.  It did and so, one Friday afternoon, I headed to CellSouth in Laurel to buy me a new phone.  I spent two long hours in there, getting the phone, setting up the phone, paying for the phone and then attempting to transfer my contacts and pictures from the old phone.  I have had fits with that Blackberry, but it got the last laugh when it took over an hour to transfer all of my contacts-- 999 to be exact.  Yeah, I'm not quite that popular.  When the sales rep told me that, I figured she was wrong, but I quickly learned that my blackberry had multiplied a couple of my contacts hundreds of times.  So I spent that entire evening deleting those "extra" contacts on my fancy new black iphone! 

Now that I have an iphone, I'm finally feeling like a cool kid.  I can play words with friends.  I can act interested when someone says "there's an app for that" because I might actually want that app.  I can sweep my finger across the screen like someone living in the future.  I'm super cool now. 

One thing that's not super cool?  Siri.  Seriously, Siri stinks.  I'm afraid to ask my brother, but I'm pretty sure that the extra money I spent to get the 4gs (or whatever the number/letter combination is) was only to get Siri on my phone.  I'd rather not know, if that's the case. 

If you haven't heard of Siri (and to be honest, I'd not really  heard of it before I got this phone), let me introduce you.  According to the apple website, Siri "lets you use your voice to send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls, and more.  Ask Siri to do things just by talking the way you talk.  Siri understands what you say, knows what you mean, and even talks back. Siri is so easy to use and does so much, you’ll keep finding more and more ways to use it."

Yeah.

According to Nicholas, you can ask Siri all types of stuff and it will look it up for you.  So, I'm all excited and start trying to ask Siri to get information for me.  And, well, it didn't work out quite as I'd hoped.  I've tried many times, over the last couple weeks to ask Siri questions and to get answers.  And I've only once gotten an actual, correct answer, and that was when Nicholas told me what to say.  Talk to it like a child, he says.  Whatever, Siri simply hates me.  Its the only explanation.  "Surely, you jest" I hear you all saying.  First off, don't call me Shirley.  Secondly, its true.  Siri never gives me the correct information, never understands my questions, never ceases to insult me whenever it has a chance. 

To prove my point, I'm going to ask Siri some questions right now, and type the answers on here, so you will all know.  The things I do for this blog. 

Me:  Call Mom. 

Siri:  Call.  Who would you like to call? 

Me:  Mom. 

Siri:  Aren't.  I don't see Aren't in your address book. 


Me:  Set an appointment for March 24 (Blogger's sidenote:  You all should be setting an appointment reminder for that day.)

Siri:  Set an appointment for March 24.  What time would you like that appointment?

Me:  9 am

Siri:  Marianne.  I don't understand what you mean by Marianne.  What time would you like your appointment? 


Me:  Walmart, Cleveland, Mississippi

Siri:  I don't understand.  Walled, Claiborne, Mississippi

Me:  Walmart, Cleveland, Mississippi

Siri:  Sorry I can only look for businesses, map and traffic in the United States and when you're using U.S. English.  Sorry about that.


Me:  Hobby Lobby, Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Siri: Haridya, Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Sorry I can only look for businesses, map and traffic in the United States and when you're using U.S. English.  Sorry about that.

Yeah, people you get the picture.  Siri hates me.  Siri laughs at me, mocking me to use U.S. English.

Me:  I hate you Siri.

Siri:  I hate theory.  I'm sorry. 

At least it had the manners to apologize. 

1 comment:

Scarlett said...

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I hate her too! David and Courtney (of course) love, love, love her. LOSERS!