Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Shaking my fist...

I've got lots of fun blog posts planned, but life keeps getting in my way.  See, I no longer have a computer to use.  I'm in the market for a new laptop, and people in my family (ahem, Nick), keep promising to help me get a new computer, but, alas, I sit, laptop-less and unhappy still. 

I've been using my work computer at times to post blogs, but a couple weeks ago, that computer's internet cord stopped working, and, in a stunning bureaucratic let down, it still hasn't been fixed.  To be fair someone will have to replace the cord coming from the ceiling, so its a tiny bit complicated, but for now, and the foreseeable future, I'll be plugging away in a back office, using this little terminal that can only connect to the work database.  No more goofing off and reading blogs for you, J. Dawn.  Get back to work.  And no blogging. 

Today I grabbed the opportunity to use the one computer in this office that can actually get on the internet with no problems.  I decided to do a bit of blogging (Blogger's note: I had to re-type that word three times, as I kept typing "clogging".  Subconscious desire?), but this computer won't let me upload pictures.  And since a picture is worth a thousand words, or rather, a picture makes a boring blog better, then I feel like I'm hindered.  I'm typing with one hand behind my back, here.  Nevertheless, my blogs will have to wait for a while till I can get access to a computer with the ability to upload some pictures. 

I've tried to download an app for my phone that will let me do it, but I cannot quite figure out how to do more than one picture per blog on that app, so its still a work in progress. 

In other, unexciting news, this weekend was really fun.  Friday night I went to eat dinner with some friends for our friend Marshall's birthday.  His birthday was Friday and he decided for his birthday, he wanted to eat at the Desert Inn and go bowling.  My Cleveland group (lovingly dubbed "the Gang") celebrates birthdays almost as awesomely as my law school group (loving dubbed "my law school group"-- we need to come up with a better name).  Now in law school, we had amazing, fun birthdays.  It was our "stress relief"-- Big Leobwski birthday party for PJ? Treasure Hunt Birthday party for Jessica?  Shannon's Karaoke Singing Party? Katherine's Wild and Wet (Toilet-Breaking) Weekend in Memphis?  Yep, all these things happened.  Another blog for another day.... once the statute of limitations runs out on that toilet incident. 

Anyway, the birthdays here in Cleveland, while not quite so creative (or law-breaking), are still fun.  The birthday person gets to choose where they want to go and what they want to do.  Last year, for me, it was Dinner at Doe's and the Hunger Games movie.  So, Marshall decided this year the Desert Inn and Bowling.  The Desert Inn is this little resturant in front of Wal-Mart.  Its not really noticeable.  In fact, the only reason I noticed it was when I first moved here, I was driving to Wal-Mart one day.  It was fairly bad weather-- you know, when its not really raining yet, but its about to be and the wind is going crazy (also, I believe with all my soul that the wind here in the Delta is worse than anywhere else.  I've told this theory to people here who have laughed and dismissed me, but I believe its true.  Perhaps the Spring of 2011 was the windiest yet or something, but its all I noticed when I moved here- the wind would knock you down.  Cause there are no hills to slow it down.  That's my theory.)

So, I drive by this building in front of Wal-Mart and I see this sign that  sayd "Desert Inn- Serving Breakfast Saturday and Sunday".  If you know me, you'll know I LOVE breakfast.  Love it.  Love a good breakfast place.  Immediately, I decided this might be a place to check out.  Since Cleveland doesn't have a Waffle House.  Thirty minutes later, one trip to Wal-Mart down, and my wallet significantly lighter, I drive back by the sign.  And its down.  Hanging down-- the wind has literally knocked it over and its barely hanging.  It was sorta creepy to me, and its something I have NEVER forgotten, everytime I drive by.  They eventually fixed it, but I will always remember that about the Desert Inn. 

The Desert Inn is your standard, small-town Friday night steak house.  It sort of reminded me of the Boro or the Bayless, but it was bit fancier.  (I know, hard for y'all lucky suckers who've been to the Boro to imagine something fancier!)  There were about 12 of us and they were smart enough to recognize how obnoxious we could be and sat us in the back, alone.  We had a really good time and then we headed over to the bowling alley.  Which I'm sure has a real name, but I don't know it, just like I've never known the names to the other bowling alleys I've frequented- Laurel, Meridian, Jackson.  Who knows.  Something or Other Lanes, probably. 

Luckily for Marshall and my other friends, I'm still on the Disabled List, so I didn't get a chance to embarass the Birthday Boy in bowling.  Instead, I was in charge of the camera.  My friend Jennifer got a fancy new camera for Christmas and has decided to start taking a zillion photos.  Since I no longer photograph well, the only way to avoid her is to be in charge of the camera.  I was allowed to be in charge of the camera for about 30 minutes.  Until someone realized that, in fact, none of the pictures I was taking were actually saving for some reason.  I got the camera taken away from me then.  I decided to focus my energy on air hockey.  I used to be really good at air hockey.  Unless I got tickled.  Once you get me laughing, I can barely function. 

I am no longr good at air hockey.  In fact, I'm terrible now.  I will blame it on my knees.  After losing two games and realizing it was nearly 10:30, I decided it was time for this old lady to head home and get in the bed. 

Saturday I eschewed the invitations of friends to go shooting, to eat dinner with them and to hang out over the fire pit because 1. I had to clean my room or I was in danger of losing Parker in the mess, 2. I had to wash clothes or I was in danger of having to pull out the only clean thing in my closet- an old bridesmaid's dress to wear to court this week, and 3. I didn't really want to shower and I felt like, while I like the Gang, and I believe they like me, they probably weren't really ready for stinky, dirty Jessica to show up (one bonus of my law school group- that's pretty much me everyday during finals, so they know how it is!)

Sunday, after showering and brushing my hair, I went to church at First Baptist and then over to Cliff and Jennifer's house for some deer meat burgers!  I only intended to stay for lunch (I had every intention of coming to the office to use the good computer and blog for you people) but lunch morphed into an epic game of Phase Ten for part of the group, and a terrible game of Mario Brother's for me.  More on that later.  But it was a totally unplanned fun day with my friends-- there was lots of laughing, lots of harsh comments about my lack of hand-eye coordination, good food, good sweet tea (which I rarely drink), and an unexpected good weekend filled with fun memories of my friends. 

No comments: